Tuesday, January 12, 2010

To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.
Dance.

O.G.'s 89th birthday was a fine one. She never wants a big deal so instead we all just 'happened' to show up for dinner at her favorite Chinese restaurant. I asked her if she realized it was for her birthday and she said, 'No one's told me anything.' Yeah, right.

Afterwards we went to her house for dessert. O.G.'s favorite dessert? 'Dry white cake'. Seriously, could anything sound more disgusting? Yeah well there's no way I'd spend all this time developing my recipes to come up with a 'dry white cake', EW. What she means is she just likes plain vanilla cake, the end.

So instead I took vanilla cake to the extreme and made a perfect little vanilla cupcake. To make it extra vanilla-y I used lots of vanilla, vanilla sea salt AND vanilla milk. I topped it with a sprinkling of sea salt and a little sugared heart hanging off the side.

My SIL said these were so good that I shouldn't give the recipe away. That's a nice compliment. True, there are some recipes that never give away (see: red velvet) but I know sometimes a good vanilla cake is hard to come by, why not share it.

While O.G. hates frosting, my Uncle on the other hand won't touch a cupcake unless it has equal amounts of frosting AND cake. And since he usually refuses my cupcakes since I'm light on the frosting, this time I went overboard to insure that he'd eat them. It worked, however O.G. wondered why it was her birthday and she didn't get the cake she wanted. Eh. You can't please everyone, especially on their...birthday. Oops.

Very Vanilla cupcakes recipe, here.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That cupcake is quite adorable. Sounds delicious, too!!!
-Kasey

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 8:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home