Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Mashed Potato started long time ago, with a guy named Sloppy Joe, you'll find this dance is so cool to do, come on baby, gonna teach it to you

I was in the market the other day and I saw Tater Tots in the freezer section. It took me back to elementary school. That crispy outside. The soft, kind of mealy center. The tiny almost marshmallow shape. They just looked so adorable. I picked up the bag and thought, "But...I don't buy processed foods." I try not to anyway. I'm not totally against it, I just try and minimize it.

Then I looked in my cart and remembered that I had already picked up a 5lb bag of potatoes for 99 cents. 99 cents, ya heard?? And I thought, "I can make tater tots....myself!" What the hell is wrong with me? Seriously. I don't know why I think these things but I obviously need a job or something to help quell this creative energy.

So I went home. And I did it.

And you know what? They were great! Sure they weren't totally the same but they tasted good and it was definitely a fun experiment. I'm going to do these again very soon.

Believe me though, I won't be going up and down the store aisles looking at EVERY processed food thinking I can make my own Twinkie or Hostess Cupcakes. Or can I...?

Homemade Tater Tots recipe, here.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

I learned to love tater tots as part of cafeteria school lunches in the '70's. and I learned to love them dipped not only in ketchup but in mayonaise too. dangerous combination! I'm going to check out your homemade recipe.

Friday, February 26, 2010 7:17:00 AM  
Anonymous Annika said...

I don't buy processed food either, but I totally make an exception for Tater Tots.

Friday, February 26, 2010 8:37:00 AM  
Blogger Jenn @ BentoForKidlet said...

Fantastic! I have never thought of attempted tater tots, but now I am excited to try! thanks for the recipe :D

Friday, February 26, 2010 10:10:00 AM  
Blogger Iliana said...

ooh! great idea to make your own tots!
P.s.
Can you please try to make your own Hostess cupcakes?? (then share the recipe) I love those. I think there is a cupcake place somewhere that actually has a version of their own but, I'm too far to try it. Anyway, Just thought I'd throw that out there. :)

Wednesday, March 03, 2010 12:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home