Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Slow and low that is the tempo

This book is amazing. You'd think Thomas Keller's recipes are unattainable, but Ad Hoc at Home is full of warm, comforting - easy to follow recipes. That's saying a lot from the man known as the best chef in America.

Now, when I first got this cookbook, as I do with all of them, I poured over it. Reading every recipe through twice, going back and tagging the pages I wanted to try - this is why I am very select with my cookbooks that I buy. I read them over and over.

The recipe that I decided to attempt first was his tri tip. Now it states clearly right there "don't cook tri tip for too long" so the first thing that came to my mind for the recipe? How can I crock pot this? I know, what a rebel. But frankly the one hour that he gives to cook - well, I just don't have it. One hour before dinner I am doing very important things. Folding the laundry. Prepping recipes. Picking up the kids. Window shopping on the internet. You know, the important stuff.

Anyway, I don't have one hour but I do have 8. So I adapted the 'idea' of his recipe and made it in the crock pot. The world did not end - it came out perfect and flavorful. For the rest of his recipes I won't betray the word of Thomas Keller, I swear. Well, not this week anyway.

p.s. I sacrificed Super Lemon for this. Goodbye Super Lemon. You served us well.

Tri tip - crockpot recipe, here
.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella said...

RIP Super lemon. I love freakishly large and small fruit! :P

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 11:31:00 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

"I don't have one hour but I do have 8" - love it! Looks yummy too.

Thursday, February 25, 2010 6:54:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home