Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Abe Froman? The Sausage King of Chicago?

Eaters of Los Angeles, give me your weiner.

I've been wanting to visit Wurstkuche since it opened last year, but I wanted to make sure 1. it stayed open and 2. I continued to hear good things. Not only did it stay open but I've been hearing nothing but GREAT things.

'Wurstkuche' means sausage kitchen and that's exactly what this is. With a menu of classic, gourmet and exotic sausages (rattlesnake, anyone?) you better believe I wanted to find out if this place was up to the hype.

Downtown in the historic arts district, blink and you will miss this place. It's dark, with a warehouse door, and a very small ordering area. But move to the back and during the day the sunlight pours in to a beautiful loft space with a large bar full o' beer, for all of you who love beer.

When we were there it was a blogger frenzy. Everyone and their mother had a camera out to take pictures of their meal. It was kind of...embarrassing. Thank goodness I had my kids to take pictures of - at least it looked that way. Ha! It kind of made you stop and realize there is this whole food blogging revolution going on.

But the important part - the sausages are darn near perfect. The 'bite' and the flavors were fantastic - but the Belgian fries, OH - to die for. In addition to beer there is also a selection of gourmet sodas. I don't let me kids drink soda - ever. But my mind was somewhere else and I had forgotten their drinks that I usually bring and I thought, well - I'll let them try a few sips.

It's almost like children are little aliens. Just arriving on earth - watching them experience something for the first time like drinking soda, is so interesting. The Kid, sweet tooth that he is - LOVED IT. Uh oh. He couldn't get enough. Believe me, he's never getting it again - I've got dentist bills in my future. Meanwhile, the Baby complained that the bubbles "BURN. THEY BURN!" and he focused on his sausage. As he should, because the sausages were divine.

We will be back, the Sci-Arc art store is just down the street which is a tight fit, but nice to pick up a few pens and canvases for the kids. All in all a great place for lunch and of course...your very first soda.

Wurstkuche
800 E. Third Street
Los Angeles, CA

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

We love this place. I've been there many times, but never taken a photo of my food, which is unlike me.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 12:21:00 AM  
Blogger Margie said...

I always love your blog titles.

Let my Cameron gooooo!

What's with the hot dog/sausage/mexican hot dog explosion?

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 5:47:00 AM  
Blogger Darlene said...

I'm going to take you out to lunch one day and bring out my big honking camera and take a photo of everything we eat.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 10:23:00 AM  
Blogger Daily Gluttony said...

"Thank goodness I had my kids to take pictures of - at least it looked that way." Exactly. I have no shame pulling the DSLR out at restaurants but I'm hoping that people are maybe thinking that I'm just taking pics of my kid. Makes me look like less of a tool. heehee

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 3:16:00 PM  
Blogger susbro said...

I love that place - I've taken pictures of beer, but by the time I get my food I'm ready to dive right in. The fries are A-MAZ-ING.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 10:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home