Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Breakin' 2 : Electric Boogaloo

Last week was Spring Break for the Kid. Our free Sea World passes are expiring and wanting to take advantage, we headed down there - only to have the kids tell me they 'didn't want to see any animal shows.' Uh. Ok. What else is there? Well. Elmo's world. And um...stuff?

The only thing the Baby was truly interested in was getting his hands on one of those chocolate ice cream Shamu-sicles. Who am I to deny a child's dream come true? Oddly, it didn't taste at all like whale.

All in all it was an ok day but I was looking forward to dinner, because we were going out of the park, just a few miles away to meet Darlene and Paul (or as I call them PARLENE) to eat burgers. Not just any burgers - the famous Hodad's Bacon Burger.

Out of boredom I have been watching waaayyyy too much Diners, Drive Inns & Dives. It's usually at 10 at night when I should NOT be thinking about food. This one episode showed a bacon burger with rendered bacon, and not just pieces - a big ol' slab patty of it. When it arrived - it looked fantastic and tasted AMAZING. So. Good.

I'm sure Paul will never want to have children after experiencing the Baby's complete mental breakdown. The Baby was drawing a Batman when Paul drew on the same paper. Hello breakdown. Sheesh! The Baby is a true temperamental artist and does not like people touching his masterpieces...even if said masterpiece was just a placemat for his greazy burger. ~sigh~ Oh well. Sorry, Paul.

Parlene also gifted me with my favorite chips - tortilla chips and bunuelos from El Indio, a tortillera in San Diego. The bunuelos are to die for - crispy fried tortilla chips completely covered - COVERED - in cinnamon and sugar.

When I got them home it inspired me to make up some Cinnamon Sugar cupcakes. I topped them with a Mascarpone Frosting and of course...a fresh bunuelo.

To sum up, it was a pretty awesome Spring Break. Bacon. Good friends. Cupcakes. And an ice cream shaped whale. Who could ask for a better vacay.

Cinnamon Sugar Cupcakes recipe, here.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Darlene said...

That cupcake sounds delicious! I like how the top of the chip looks like a shark fin coming up on a wave of frosting. Or is it a killer whale?

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 6:46:00 AM  
Anonymous kirbie said...

When I first visited Hodad's I was afraid I would be disappointed after all the hype and watch DDD. But I really enjoyed the burgers.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 9:59:00 AM  
Blogger bethany actually said...

I lived in San Diego for two years (five, actually, if you count the first three years I lived there in the 90s) and I've never even heard of Hodad's. Sigh. I have heard of El Indio, however!

Annalie loves those Shamu-sicles too. And that cupcake looks sharklicious!

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 6:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Dawn C. said...

I happened to be going to SD this weekend and read your post before I left, which meant I HAD to seek out and try Hodad's. YUM! SO glad I did and so glad you blogged about it!

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 9:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home