Sunday, April 18, 2010

He's got a watch with a minute hand, millenium hand and an eon hand

Since the Kid only eats cheese and needs more iron, I am trying to incorporate more meat into the kid's diets. I'm not really a fan of meat, but I am a fan of...pie!

I decided to make savory hand pies filled with meat. I got some of those Williams Sonoma pie molds for Christmas and I was so excited...I am here to report that they don't work for crap. So disappointing. Oh well. Back to the old fashioned way of molding things by hand.

Instead of the molds, I used a biscuit cutter and just made tiny round pies, just the right size for the kid's hands, aka small!

I made a nice pie crust and a tasty filling. The goal was to get the kids excited about something different and it worked! Kinda. The Kid went straight for all the pie crust while the Baby dug out the savory meat filling. Ha, Jack Sprat, etc - it was worth a shot. But they both agreed that they loved the meat pies since they were yummy AND 'kid sized!'

mini Meat Hand-pies recipe, here.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Lorena said...

In the Philippines, we've got empanadas -- they often show up at family parties and my mom has made them from time to time. They're yummy half-moon-shaped savory meat pies, perfect for eating by hand.

As far as sneaking more iron into the Kid's diet, there are plenty of iron-rich vegetables out there, too. And since he loves fruit so much, you can try making green smoothies -- basically fruit smoothies with a handful of fresh baby spinach blended in. You don't taste the spinach, but the smoothie turns this great green color. If your kids liked the green pancakes, they might be willing to try a green smoothie. I like a frozen banana with orange juice and spinach. It's simple and the vitamin C in the OJ helps absorb the iron in the spinach.

Monday, April 19, 2010 9:07:00 AM  
Blogger justJENN said...

@Lorena,

Yeah I know, he eats plenty of iron rich vegetables, I just want him to have a well balanced diet and eat MEAT. If it's seasoned well, he'll eat it, believe me.

Monday, April 19, 2010 9:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home