Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Pizza the Hutt: Tell him, Vinnie.
Vinnie: Or else pizza is gonna send out for *you*!

When the Food Librarian excitedly said, "Let's take the kids to eat MOCHI PIZZA!" I was skeptical. I like mochi. I like pizza. But...

I'm not that big of a fan of weird Japanese food concoctions, but it was worth a shot. Or was it - the place was alllll the way out in San Gabriel, and lord knows I rarely go East of the 110 fwy.

The place was called Strawberry Cones - an outpost of a very popular pizza place in Japan. You could tell by the menu this was not your ordinary pizza...

Teriyaki Chicken Mochi pizza seemed doable to me, the black crusted 'Ninja Pizza' did not. But the Baby was all for eating anything that would turn him into a ninja.I have to say, the Teriyaki Chicken Mochi pizza actually worked - there was mochiko flour in the crust which was great, and pieces of soft crusty mochi on top of the pizza. Not bad. Not bad at all. The ninja pizza....I have nothing to say. So I won't say anything. Ok?

I don't know that I'd go back but I WOULD go back for the dessert place a few doors down...

It was called Pa Pa Walk (wtf with the crazy names??) and it was like Hawaiian shave ice on crack. They sold 'snowy's which was flavored ice shaved finer than regular shave ice - and you could get any topping you wanted...but the 'toppings' were hidden under the ice!

The kids thought that was hilarious. We got custard, mochi balls, red bean and almond jello. It also came with some brown sugar syrup (unnecessary) and condensed milk (soooo necessary). It was FANTASTIC.

I don't know that I'll be heading all the way out to San Gabriel again, (or eating the pizza again) but I am definitely on a shave ice kick now and ready for summer!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Kirbie said...

Most of the Taiwanese shaved ice places put the topping underneath. I'm not quite sure why (perhaps so the ice doesn't melt as fast?), as it doesn't look nearly as appetizing and you have to dig around for the toppings. I'm not a big fan of the brown sugar syrup either. Condensed milk is a must though.
What's funny about your ninja story is that I was thinking of using the excuse that they serve ninja pizza to get Boyfriend to take a roadtrip with me for this place, as he is obsessed with ninjas.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 11:36:00 AM  
Blogger mr. pineapple man said...

I've heard about this place and want the mochi pizza and shaved ice sooo bad!!!

Thursday, April 29, 2010 5:50:00 PM  
Blogger mahesh said...

It really new thing that I saw in ur website..It so good …………………
Pizza Equipment

Monday, December 12, 2011 1:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home