Sunday, April 04, 2010

Smell like I sound I'm lost in a crowd.

The Blessing of the Animals is a very old tradition in Los Angeles. Every year people bring their pets to get blessed by the Cardinal right before Easter. I have been wanting to take the kids, and now they are at an age where they can appreciate all the festivities and the animals.

We headed downtown to Olvera Street where it was PACKED. One way you can tell that an event is popular is by the price gouging in the parking lots. $13? Really? There was no way I was paying that, so I went two blocks up to a cheaper lot and took a shortcut through the old cathedral. I ain't no tourist, I know where I'm going!!

We were a little early so we walked up and down Olvera Street. It's changed a lot since I was a kid, but in many ways it hasn't - you can still find some of the weirdest stuff ever:There was plenty of frutas, churros and aguas frescas, which was good since the day was hotter than I had expected it to be.

The processional started at 2pm. The cow always leads off the ceremony, (the same family brings the cow that starts off the processional every year) and then the people started to line up with their pets and I don't just mean domestic pets: snakes, goats, pigs, fish, you name it.

The kids oohed and aahed at the animals and then we headed home. People tend to overlook Olvera Street as a tourist trap or an old forgotten part of town, but it's fiestas on days like these that make you appreciate the history of our city.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger bethany actually said...

You do such a great job of being excited about your city. I've been to LA dozens of times and I've never particularly liked it (or hated it, except during freeway gridlock), but every time I read one of your posts about cool festivals or a store that sells every kind of sprinkles or a restaurant with old-fashioned soda for a dollar it makes me want to come be a tourist there.

Sunday, April 04, 2010 5:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Jaysey said...

Those were some great photos! Thanks for sharing!

Sunday, April 04, 2010 6:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home