Thursday, April 22, 2010

This is why I'm hot, I don't gotta rap, I can sell a mill, sayin' nothin' on the track

Something about Orange County - whenever I go there everything looks the same, and when I find my destination it is always in the middle of nowhere that looks the same. Does that make sense? Of course not, that is how I feel when I am down there.

I had to be in Irvine for business and kid business - so I asked my friend Shari for some recommendations for lunch. She suggested I head to Alton Parkway where I was sure to find something.

She was right - the place was packed with amazing places to eat. There were so many options I wasn't sure where to turn. I checked on Yelp who was also right - the parking there is HORRIBLE. Lordy, it's like a planner's worst nightmare.

After a look around I decided that 85 degrees would be the restaurant for me. Why?

Need I say more? No. Really. All pastry all the time - just hand me a fork and keep it coming. So why the name 85 degrees? Because that is the optimum temp for brewing coffee. Ahhh...makes perfect sense now to name your restaurant that. (No it doesn't.)

The right side of the restaurant was set up like a typical serve-yourself asian bakery. Not too fond of those things, you know me and the hygiene. Plus it was small as heck and there was no room to enjoy looking around when you're being elbowed in the gut for some cinnamon brioche.

The left side was the coffee bar/ pastry area. Man. All I did was see the words COFFEE CREME BRULEE and I nearly fainted right there on the floor. I ordered one and it was a perfect creme brulee, but SOAKED in a lovely coffee glaze. I wanted to eat ten more.
The breads were good, no doubt, but 85 degrees is also known for there 'special' Sea Salt Coffee. Say what. It sounded...weird. I tried it and the salt wasn't bad - not too heavy, it added just the right something to the coffee.

This place was great. If it wasn't an hour + away I'd go all the time to make sure I tried everything. I'll definitely stop next time I'm behind the Orange Curtain...if I can find it again.

85 degrees celcius
2700 Alton Pkwy
Ste 123

Irvine, CA 92606

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Darlene said...

I'll take one of everything in that case. Unfortunately, I've always thought of OC has a drive thru county on my way up north.

Thursday, April 22, 2010 6:53:00 AM  
Anonymous kirbie said...

This is one of my favorites places! Love, love the fresh bread that comes out like every 2 minutes. I always stop here when I'm in the area (I had to stop doing posts on it because I visit way too much.) I think I've tried almost everything the store has to offer. I love the sea salt coffee too. It's better to come here during the week though. On the weekend, the lines are way out the door and there isn't as many bread options.

Thursday, April 22, 2010 9:58:00 AM  
Anonymous Calee said...

We live just around the corner yet I've never managed to visit... I think it's finally time!

Next time if you're in Irvine and looking for something a little more substantial, the California Fish Grill on Barranca and Culver is pretty awesome.

Thursday, April 22, 2010 10:14:00 AM  
Blogger DPLK said...

Oh wow, that chain started in Taiwan! It's been a huge hit there and I didn't realize it's expanded to the US. Nice. The pastries look awesome.

Thursday, April 22, 2010 3:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home