Monday, April 26, 2010

Utensils down, hands up!

The California Avocado Commision held a blogger event at Ciudad downtown, hosted by the Two Hot Tamales. I have been big fans of Susan Feniger and Mary Sue Milliken - way back before they were even on the food network, so I was really excited!

Not only that, my friend Darlene was going and I was all for spending the day with a good friend and some avocados. A perfect Saturday.

The chefs cooked us a 5 course meal, each dish containing avocados of course! There was a fried avocado taco, a BLaT (bacon, lettuce, avocado, tomato) salad, chilaquiles (my favorite!), a mango+avocado salad and, wait for it...and avocado milkshake.

Since it was a blogger event, people were going nuts with their cameras - taking pictures of every step. I kind of just wanted to watch them cook. Mary Sue and Susan are such great talents and so charismatic, you can see why they were the original celebrity chefs.

But that was not the best part of the day - since Susan is currently on Top Chef Masters, they had us do a little challenge as well, Top Chef style!! We had to break into pairs and make a signature guacamole AND name it - in just a few minutes. It was so much harder than I ever expected. Darlene and I pulled it off though, and even won! (for best name, shh)

Pom-acado...mole recipe, here.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Chessie said...

That sounds like so much fun! I work near their Border Grill restaurant in Vegas and eat there all the time. The food is amazing. Now I really feel like I need to try an avocado milkshake!

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 12:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fried avocado taco...mmmm! Two Hot Tamales was one of my favorite shows! Then, my family and I went to Border Grill in Santa Monica because of them. Sounds like a fun event!
-Kasey

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 8:09:00 AM  
Blogger AccordingToAngela.com said...

Avocado shakes are a big thing in the Philippines. My dad used to make us a "quickie" version when we were kids (over 20 years ago!), by blending ice cubes, sugar, and avocados and it was heavenly.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 4:03:00 PM  
Blogger mr. pineapple man said...

awesome! avacado with a little bit of salt on top is really delicious too!

Thursday, April 29, 2010 5:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home