Thursday, April 15, 2010

We built this city

Pretend City opened up last year and I have been wanting to take the kids, but it is WAY down in Irvine, which is a long haul for me. Luckily I had some business down there, so we got to stop by.

For some reason I misread the prices and realized it was $10 a person. At the other kid play centers I've been to (at least in Los Angeles), the adults are usually FREE with a kid's admission, so I was not happy about this. But we had driven forty freakin' miles, I couldn't just say 'forget it' - luckily the kids got their money's worth.
It's an amazingly cute place, a REAL 'pretend' city. There are blocked out store fronts like set pieces that allow the kids to go from place to place. The idea is that you get a 'time card' and collect stamps at each place. Then when you've completed all the task you take the card to a very realistic working atm, and fake money spits right out! It is so cute!!

Then you take the fake money and 'use it' to buy groceries or go to a market, or even 'donate' so that they can open other facilities. It is just like a real working city. It's an amazing concept that I wish they'd expand to other cities. (read: closer to my house.)

The Baby spent a lot of his time in the 'cafe' cooking me food while I waited at the pretend counter. You can tell my kids cook with me a lot by the things he brought me to eat. The lady next to me cracked up when the Baby presented me with a plate and said, 'Here's your vegetarian plate, mommy." Too funny.

My only other complaint in addition to the price, was...other people's kids! Why are they such jerks? Why don't people look after their own children?! Ugh. If you have kids - WATCH THEM. The Kid was drawing and another child ran up and just drew on his paper. Oh. No. You. Di'int. As someone who draws and is a perfectionist, I wanted to slap that kid one - don't worry, I didn't. Then the unruly child went off to harass someone else.

Otherwise, I'd go back if it was closer to home, but I think it's definitely a great place to meet some friends for an afternoon playdate.

More pictures, here.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger lilsprinkles said...

guess you didn't read my post on our trip...i could have saved you $30!!! yes, price = steep. distance = far. crowded area with tons of unruly kids = no good! but good to go at least once! haha!

Thursday, April 15, 2010 9:24:00 AM  
Blogger Leslie said...

sounds like fun, but bummer on the bad kids.
sometimes I wonder if people think I should watch my kids more closely,
I try to watch them closely but from a distance... It's possible one of mine would get to an area and draw on someone else's paper- But I'd always at least apologize for them and stop them to correct them and explain why what they did wasn't nice or whatever....

Thursday, April 15, 2010 9:54:00 AM  
Blogger Margie said...

$10 a pop?! Add the gas, that is slowly creeping up and, oh boy. Whew. However, I'm glad the kids had fun. BOO-URNS to unruly kids.

BTW, I always adore the title you give your posts.

Thursday, April 15, 2010 9:58:00 AM  
Anonymous Lynn said...

Sound like Kidzania! We will be going to the one in Japan this summer. Cant wait!

Thursday, April 15, 2010 2:07:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

Despite the unruly kids, I'm excited to take Em there someday!

Thursday, April 15, 2010 9:29:00 PM  
Blogger L.A. Story said...

Very cool! I'm definitely taking CC down there soon. The drive has been the hold-up so far.

Friday, April 16, 2010 10:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home