Sunday, May 09, 2010

Can I get just one rib?

If you've been reading this blog for a while you know my family LOVES taste tests. In fact it's getting harder and harder to think up new things to try (please - leave me suggestions in the comments, we are gearing up for 4th of July!).

In the past we've done ketchup and mustard, hot dogs, root beer (that was the best) and last year we even taste tested Vanilla Ice Creams. So it was no surprise that my mom called up and said we were doing a 'Rib Taste Test' for Mother's Day. After all, O.G. loves BBQ ribs more than, well...everything. She'll take a rib day or night, no matter.

I just had to make cute ballots and little sticks for each rib, I mean co-ordinate, you know? Otherwise it would have been mass confusion. Trust me on this.

Everyone brought ribs from a different places around Los Angeles. In total we had NINE rib joints represented and in all honesty - it was a bit overwhelming. That's almost a full rack of ribs for each person! I just took a bite of each and made my decision. Other people ate every rib and boy did they feel it later. Oof.
O.G. insisted that I had to bring side dishes because, 'We can't just eat ribs!' She said this to me three times. Three times means do it or else. So I made Twice Baked Potatoes. Guess who didn't even eat them. That's right. She was too full from JUST EATING RIBS. Good. Lord.

All in all I'd say it was a successful taste test. The results are always surprising and you never seem to choose what you'd think. The winner? By and far in ALL categories was Britt's BBQ in El Segundo. They were absolutely AMAZING. A little spicy, saucy, meaty and oh so delicious.

Twice Baked Potatoes recipe, here.

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Margie said...

"I sure am hungry."
Tries to pay with $100 bill.

Monday, May 10, 2010 6:09:00 AM  
Blogger Christopher Lum said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Monday, May 10, 2010 10:40:00 AM  
Blogger sko_G knits said...

i am going to have to go to outdoor grill for lunch now.

Monday, May 10, 2010 10:41:00 AM  
Blogger jami said...

Where were the other BBQ places? I am very curious. Someone recently mentioned Hole in the Wall in Torrance. We are BIG rib fans.

Also, it is quite clear where the Baby gets his carnivorous tendencies - from his g.grandma!

Monday, May 10, 2010 12:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Dawn C. said...

AH! I work 4 minutes from here and have never seen this place! Guess where I'm having lunch today? WOo-HoO!

Monday, May 10, 2010 12:52:00 PM  
Blogger stutefish said...

Can I ask who the second and third place winners were?

Hungry now.

Monday, May 10, 2010 1:01:00 PM  
Blogger dvl said...

words cannot express how much i love this idea... would love to know who all the rib contenders were.

Monday, May 10, 2010 1:12:00 PM  
Blogger kate said...

I live in Asheville NC and so far Obama has been here twice (the second time a couple of weeks ago for vacation) and both times went to 12 Bones BBQ which I think can now attest they are the president's go-to BBQ restaurant. I'd put their ribs up against anyone's. They are that good. I'm just a fan not affiliated in any other way.
This should link to a sweet video of the Obama's ordering their ribs:
http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2010100425006
www.12bones.com

Monday, May 10, 2010 6:28:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

Fun!

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 10:33:00 AM  
Blogger justJENN said...

@stutefish
2nd place: Tony Romas
3rd place: Lucilles

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 9:32:00 PM  
Blogger DPLK said...

How about pasta sauce taste test? or fried chicken? or sushi (like a basic california roll)?

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 7:21:00 PM  
Blogger joanh said...

awesome. i really dig tony roma's so i'll have to try number 1 and 3!!

mind sharing what were the least faves so we know where to avoid?

Thursday, May 13, 2010 8:38:00 AM  
Blogger Yum-e said...

I know I sound like a broken record...but can I be adopted into your family?

We have tomato tastings, cookie tastings and ice cream tastings here at work.

How about bread pudding, creme brule!, brownie? (have you done that already?), macaron!

Friday, May 14, 2010 12:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home