Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I don't think you're ready for this jelly

I don't know what some of your favorite cookbooks are, but mine are old skool church cookbooks. Wire bound, stained, you can practically taste the recipes just by turning the pages. They crack me up with their mayo overload, dependence on cream of mushroom soup, extra Crisco, it's all kind of like uncovering a lost civilization of unhealthiness.

My true love though, is old Hawaii cookbooks - they have the BEST food. One recipe you will always find is for chicken that uses Guava Jelly. True, guava jelly is intended for toast and bready things, but it can actually be used to make an amazing sauce, and this is coming from someone who does NOT like the taste of guava. I am pretty loyal to Hawaiian Sun brand anything, but Goya makes a perfectly good guava jelly too, and it probably easier to find.

While most of the recipes call for frying the chicken and then making a sauce FOR the fried chicken, that's not how I do it. Not that I don't love fried chicken - fried chicken would be my last meal if it ever came to that. No, I just don't have the time to slave over hot oil. I hate it in fact. So instead I mixed up my own sauce, marinated the chicken, and baked it. It cookss up beautifully, and stays moist with a sweet and fruity flavor.

Back to reading more old cookbooks...2 teaspoons MSG?? Sounds like a recipe for MIGRAINE PIE.

Guava Jelly Chicken recipe, here.


Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger bethany actually said...

My mom loves old church cookbooks too! She's forever buying them at thrift stores and reading them like they're novels. Migraine pie...ha!

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 9:04:00 AM  
Anonymous kirbie said...

I just bought this guava jelly! Found it at the Marukai living Hawaii section. Have been trying to figure out what to do with it.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 10:44:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I love church cookbooks! My favorite is the official Mormon Cookbook my mom bought on a business trip to Utah. Jell-O and Mayo galore. My other favorite, with actual good food, is a Civil War cookbook purchased in Georgia. We still make the sweet potato (yam) casserole every Thanksgiving. It is HEAVEN!

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 11:14:00 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

I LOVE the way you feed your kids. just a bit of everything. I think kids can get overwhelmed with adult sized portions -- this way they eat appropriately for their little tummies. I just love the pics of their little trays. :)

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 11:15:00 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

gosh, i don't know how many times i can say it but your blog gives me just the little bit of comic relief i need every time i need it. i literally laughed out loud reading this one...it's so funny!

Friday, May 28, 2010 9:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home