Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Time for lemonade and crackerjacks

Even though the kids are growing up, they still love trains. While we try to make it out to Travel Town as often as we can, it's always super crowded. But now I just found out that there is another option!

The Wilson Park trains in Torrance run the 1st Sunday and the 3rd Saturday of each month.It's free, with an optional donation, and why not donate - it's so much fun! The lines are short and move quickly, a big A+ in my book. A lot of the trains here seemed fancier, some of them had actual bucket seats.
It was a great alternative to the Griffith Park trains. A nice long route, with just enough scenery to make you feel like you are riding the rails.

But tell me, how could the ice cream man park right at the entrance?? How could he tempt me - I mean the kids - like that? Smart dude. While the kids begged for ice cream I assured them we'd get something better:

Shave Ice from Teri Hawaii! When I was a kid we'd go to the North Shore on vacation for shave ice, and while nothing compares to that, this is certainly a great stand in.

I remember coming here a lot as a kid, and I still order the same thing I did back then: A Teri BEEF Sandwich. Not the burger, oh no. The sandwich is where it's at. These are coarse cuts of thin sliced beef, lathered in a sweet Hawaiian teriyaki sauce with a crisp piece of lettuce on a soft bun. It's changed very little since I was kid, but still brings back those same memories.

With the weather heating up, we WILL be back for more shave ice, and definitely more train rides.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger joyce said...

what?? Li Hing Mui shave ice flavor??

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 9:53:00 PM  
Blogger The Food Librarian said...

ahhhh. i heart teri hawaii.

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 11:17:00 PM  
Blogger The Nix Family said...

How come we don't hang out more? We do all the same things ... except you do it with better lunch stops!

Thursday, May 06, 2010 12:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home