Wednesday, June 02, 2010

And through it all she offers me protection , a lot of love and affection, whether I'm right or wrong

O.G. loves baseball. She would often tell me of how she'd go to Wrigley Field to watch games. No, not THAT Wrigley Field - the one in LOS ANGELES! Of course that was eighty years ago and it is long gone and now the area is today's South Central L.A.
She was just 10 years old then and games cost 25 cents. Times have changed but her love of baseball has never waned. Last weekend the Anaheim Angels were playing the Mariners. Big deal, right? Apparently, YES, it was a big freakin' deal because in actuality it was Matsui vs. Ichiro, two Japanese players and yes sir, everyone seemed to know this.
I was shocked at how many people showed up (um, I never go to games, obviously) and not only that, LOYAL Japanese fans. People in front of me were wearing kimonos. WHAT. The Angels went all out cause even the non-asian ticket takers spoke to O.G. in Japanese which was hilarious since we had no clue what the lady was saying.

Our tickets were right field and WHO KNEW (??) that that's where Ichiro plays and therefore that is where every Japanese person in the Los Angeles vicinity got their seats. And we just happened to have bought the tickets in that section by chance! HA!

People cheered for both Matsui and Ichiro. O.G. stood up - she could barely contain her excitement - she even wrote down the lineup BEFORE we went to the game! Of course, the kids were bored in the SECOND inning. Think: whining children begging for cotton candy for SEVEN INNINGS STRAIGHT. Kill me.

In the end it was sort of a letdown, no big plays and the Angels lost. But every Friday night at the end of the game, Anaheim Stadium sets off a big fireworks show and that was the payoff for me. I am not a sports fan, but it was fun - I doubt I'd go to another game, but to see O.G. thrilled was all worth it.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Sizzle said...

While the Mariners aren't that great of a team, Seattleites love them some Ichiro. They chant out his name at games. I am not much for sports but it's fun to go sometimes, especially when the crowd gets into it. It sounds like O.G. had a really great time.

Thursday, June 03, 2010 8:56:00 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

You are a good granddaughter. Baseball is so boring. I'll occasionally go to a game, but just end up gorging on all of the stadium junk food and talking to whoever has dragged me there!

Thursday, June 03, 2010 12:32:00 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

Yep, we live in Washington State and we LOVE Ichiro. We went to a Mariners game a couple of weeks ago and my 6yo son was asking for cotton candy before the game started. I made him wait until the 4th inning which only resulted in "Is it the fourth inning yet?" questions. Glad OG had so much fun!

Thursday, June 03, 2010 8:27:00 PM  
Blogger The Daily Randi said...

OMG, you need to go to A Game with Michael and Me to discover How Not Boring Baseball Can Be. Seriously, we were born and bred on this stuff. Baseball runs through our veins! Your kids will even have A Great Time!

xoxo,
TDR

Saturday, June 05, 2010 1:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home