Thursday, June 17, 2010

Butterfly in the sky, I can go twice as high
Take a look, it's in a book

The Kid was tested at school and his reading level is a 28 - when kids graduate from Kindergarten they are supposed to be at a 6!! This was amazing news. The Kid loves to read, but I had no idea that he was actually above a 2nd grade reading level.

As a child of a librarian - libraries were always big in our family - my mom took us every summer to join the book clubs and I always try to pick out fun books for my own kids. Here are some of the Kid's favorites that got him started reading early:


Little Pea by Amy Krause Rosenthal

I love Amy Krause Rosenthal books! They are humorous and fun - and the kids get such a kick out of the stories. I love this book because all the pea wants to do is eat his dessert, but he reluctantly has to eat his dinner first. Ah, can't we all relate. This was one of the first books the Kid taught himself to read when he was only about 3 years old.



The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog! by Mo Willems
Again, another author that is HUGE in our house, Mo Willems. Another one of my favorites because I can relate to the pigeon. When he loses it, I lose it. This one is a fave of the Baby because it involves food.


In the Night Kitchen (Caldecott Collection) by Maurice Sendak
You'd think Where the Wild Things Are is the most famous book by Maurice Sendak, but don't forget about the Night Kitchen! -- Ok, I'm no prude, but the nudity in this - yeah, it bothers me. But the kids LOVE this book. The words, the craziness of the story - they adore it. It's won awards for many reasons - and garnered controversy just the same. Still - once again it's about food (see a theme here?) and my kids love to cook and eat, so there you go.


If You Give a Pig a Pancake by Laura Joffe Numeroff
Ok. Hang on. Now I am REALLY seeing a trend here. My kids only like books about food. WHAT. They are their mother's sons. If you give a Pig a Pancake is one in a llllong super cute series about animals being disruptive over food. It's funny, frustrating and insane. The kids love all these books (Cat + Cupcake, Mouse + Cookie, etc) but this little pig is definitely their favorite.

Granted, all these books are about food, but more than that and the great stories they have FANTASTIC illustrations that the kids can really relate to. I think a lot of that helped the kids have a real interest in art and drawing, too.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Margie said...

I totally sang Reading Rainbow!

Congrats to the Kid! I'm a big reader and I LOVE when kids read. And, as usual, I'm hungry.

Thursday, June 17, 2010 7:17:00 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Loved the summer reading program as a kid! We had a male childrens librarian and I had the biggest crush on him, he's now running the branch and I laugh everytime I take Finn in there.

Thursday, June 17, 2010 7:42:00 AM  
Blogger Nanette said...

We love the Little Pea book you gave us so much. Our friend gave Em "Little Hoot," and we just got "Little Oink." I also bought a mini box set of that series to give as a gift.

Thursday, June 17, 2010 10:17:00 AM  
Blogger lindsay said...

The Knuffle Bunny books by Mo Willems is a fav with our kidlet. He does a great job incorporating drawn images w/ photography.

Thursday, June 17, 2010 11:07:00 AM  
Blogger Lorena said...

Love this post! I'm a big reader, too - when my sister and cousins would go to the park during the summer, I'd go across the street to hang out at the library. Yeah, I've been a nerd since waaaay back (and I take after my book-lovin' mom).

Like Margie, I was a big Reading Rainbow fan, too!

Thursday, June 17, 2010 2:31:00 PM  
Blogger suburban housefrau said...

It cracks me up that Geordi is the Reading Rainbow dude.

Don't forget Moose and Muffin. My kid has started making up his own "if you give a..." stories with random objects.

I have a cousin who is an elementary school librarian and she pasted little diapers on the character in Night Kitchen.

Thursday, June 17, 2010 2:46:00 PM  
Blogger dapotato said...

great list. i'm bookmarking this for future kid gift ideas.

Friday, June 18, 2010 11:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home