Sunday, June 06, 2010

I never meant to cause you any sorrow
I never meant to cause you any pain
I only wanted to see you laughing in the purple rain

Every season I wish for the Lakers to make it to the NBA finals. Why? Because it stretches my baking creativity.

Last year I made marbled purple and gold cupcakes with champagne buttercream. This year - more purple but in the form of...UBE.

Ube is the Filipino word for purple yam and the first time I came across it was in the dessert Halo-Halo. There is no recipe for Halo-halo and it shows - since and as far as I could tell it was anything that was in the kitchen that day, seeing as how there was ice cream, corn, cereal AND garbanzo beans in mine. Um...ew.

But the Ube ice cream won me over. The luscious purple hue is hard to deny for this Pantone-lover. And so I decided to pair it up with something very, very close to my heart: Mochi. In cupcake form.

So this NBA season's good luck dessert is done.. Now if they make it again next year? I'm sunk. Cause man, I'm running out of purple-y ideas...help.

Mochi + Ube Ice Cream Cupcakes recipe, here.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger AccordingToAngela.com said...

pretty!

i am Filipino, and i hate all those beans and unflavored gelatin pieces inside of a traditional halo halo. however, when i was in the Philippines, i tried a version over there that was awesome: at the bottom, there were bananas, then on top of that the shaved ice and condensed milk. on top of that were more bananas and caramel flan, then a big scoop of macapuno (young coconut) ice cream. it was delicious!

Sunday, June 06, 2010 3:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home