Sunday, June 20, 2010

ICE CREAM AND CAKE DO THE ICE CREAM AND CAKE

When we were kids we had two fridges, the regular one in the house and a second one in the garage. The second one was stocked with Coke...and ice cream. Ice cream was big when we were growing up - we ate A LOT of it.

While on our birthdays my mom always made our cake but for every other occasion, Mother's Day, graduations, anniversaries - it seems we always went out and bought an ice cream cake. Truly a family favorite.

I always marveled how the cake was perfectly stacked - an even layer of ice cream, and cake - with a nice covered frosting that gave no clue of what flavors were inside. It was like a creamy, dreamy pinata.

Perhaps it's because I spent so many years buying the cakes, I never thought about how easy it would be to make them. Sure, I make ice cream bombes all the time, but for some reason - perhaps the nostalgia of it - I never attempted and ice cream cake. Until now. And wow, was it easy. Now that I've done it I want to make them all the time. Perhaps I need a third fridge...

Ice Cream Cake recipe, here.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger loveSHARA said...

I love the background of Pez [:

Sunday, June 20, 2010 10:11:00 PM  
Blogger Sizzle said...

Ice cream cake is the best. And I'm not just saying that cuz I worked at Baskin-Robbins for years (first job).

Monday, June 21, 2010 9:39:00 AM  
Blogger jami said...

We are so on the same wavelength! I just made ice cream pie for my mom's birthday, but wrestled between the oreo crust and a layer of brownie. the oreo crust won, and here's the best secret: a thin layer of ganache on the crust, then the ice cream, then more ganache on top. The ganache is so perfect with the crust. Mmm!

Love the crumbs on the side!

Monday, June 21, 2010 9:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home