Sunday, June 27, 2010

This little piggy stayed home

All these years of going to hawaii, and I've never made kalua pig. Probably because I don't have an imu. I mean if you're going to do something, do it right...

I finally broke down and thought, well, I use the slow cooker for everything else, why not give it a shot.

The thing is, just like an imu it takes HOURS to get this pork just right. I'm talking like 16+ hours. While there are only three ingredients, the fact that the crock pot is on for so long is kind of a put off.

To get the pork done by 6pm, I turned it on at midnight the night before. Which means at 3am, I shot up in bed and thought out loud - "WHY DOES THE HOUSE SMELL LIKE BACON?!" Oh yeah.

When the 16 hours were up and the pork was finally unveiled...yeah. It was worth the wait. Nicely shredded, very flavorful - and yes, worth every little pork filled dream I had that night. maybe if I can coerce the Baby to dig a pit for me in the backyard then I'll do it the traditional way. Until then, I'll stick with the crock pot.

Kalua Pig for the crock pot recipe, here.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

Just buy a Baby sized shovel and tell him, "Whatever you do, don't dig a hole in the back yard."

Monday, June 28, 2010 6:51:00 AM  
Anonymous poppy said...

That's how my dad made kalua pig when I was growing up. I hated waking up in the mornings to the smell of it in the house. To this day, I won't eat it--it's the smell, not the taste (because it's ono-licious) that puts me off! ;)

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 12:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home