Friday, July 09, 2010

When you say it's gonna happen now, when exactly do you mean? See I've already waited too long, and all my hope is gone

Vons contacted me and asked me if I'd like to try their online shopping home delivery service. In exchange they'd give me two gift cards to reimburse my purchases AND give me an online code for to share with YOU the blog readers.

I was intrigued because I've always wanted to try home delivery, and what with the Baby home with me all day - going to the market ain't as easy as it used to be. While he napped I tried out the site and 'virtually' shopped.

Since I was scheduling the shipment for later - I bought ingredients for making a dinner later in the week - I decided on lasagna, and that I would buy all the ingredients online. Since it was available I bought 'no boil' pasta for fun - I've never used it and I never will again. UGH. Old skool BOILED pasta is the way to go, always.

I also bought all my baking ingredients that were heavy, like flour, sugar - AND I bought canned pumpkin! You may or may not know, canned pumpkin is extinct and you can't find it in stores, so having it available online was pretty cool. Heck they even sell It's-It bars (I'm looking at you MyBurningKitchen) which are very hard to find.

I also threw in a curveball and bought ice cream. I wanted to see if it would arrive melted or not! I bought mini $1 cups, Mango for the Baby's sophisticated palate, and vanilla for the Kid's boring one. Ha!

To my surprise, the delivery arrived right on time within the allotted time period - everything looked great (save for a dent in one of the cans) and the ice cream was right on, perfectly frozen!

I think it was a pretty cool experience for buying things that you don't need right away, and if you can think ahead - you can plan some pretty good meals and have all the ingredients arrive right on your doorstep while your kids are napping. That part was GREAT. The Baby woke up to mango ice cream and said "WHERE DID THIS COME FROM??" The ice cream fairies dropped it on the doorstep, son. No really. Why don't you believe me?

Online code: JTJNRCPS for $7 off + free delivery ($50 minimum)

Lasagna recipe, here.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Peeved Michelle said...

I never boil my lasagna noodles but I just use regular noodles. I add a little bit of water (like 1/8 c.) to the sauce. The noodles soak it up and my lasagna comes out great. The noodles are the same as when I used to boil them, but without the hassle. Not boiling the noodles also makes my lasagna easier to assemble.

I might try this delivery thing out.

Friday, July 09, 2010 9:09:00 AM  
Blogger Darlene said...

What is going on with those cups? Are those frozen strawberries at the bottom?

I do love the Its-It!

Friday, July 09, 2010 9:12:00 AM  
Blogger bethany actually said...

VERY cool. I wish I still lived in California so I could take advantage of the code!

Friday, July 09, 2010 9:23:00 AM  
Anonymous Peeved Michelle said...

I just saw your lasagne on your recipes blog. I use at least twice as much sauce as you do, which is probably why not boiling the noodles works out fine for me.

Friday, July 09, 2010 9:35:00 AM  
Anonymous Hilary said...

That lasagna looks yummy Jenn!

Bethany (that's my sister's name!), if you live in a state with a Safeway or Genuardi's, you can try the code!

Friday, July 09, 2010 9:39:00 AM  
Anonymous Mary said...

I think I've tried the no-boil lasagna, too, and it was just eh. Of course, now I feel like I want to lasagna and I don't have any. Sigh.

Friday, July 09, 2010 10:18:00 AM  
Blogger WakeGrace said...

Im with Darlene, WHat are those things?!

I wish I lived in Cali. I HATE going to the grocery store.

Friday, July 09, 2010 11:54:00 AM  
Blogger justJENN said...

@Darlene @WakeGrace
They are Disney cups, and those are just figures SEALED in the bottom: Stitch and Lightning McQueen, of course.

Friday, July 09, 2010 12:16:00 PM  
Anonymous rightbrainedgal said...

What? No more canned pumpkin? How can this be? I tried to buy some around Christmas and everyone was out, but I didn't know why. I thought it was just a pumpkin shortage. I may have to use this delivery service just for the canned pumpkin. Will they think I am strange if I order fifty dollars worth of pumpkin?

Saturday, July 10, 2010 10:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home