Sunday, August 01, 2010

We've be on the run, driving in the sun, looking out for number one

This weekend the Food Librarian and I trekked allll the way down behind the Orange Curtain so that I could compete in the amateur division of Cupcake Camp O.C. There were tons of great cupcakes on display - mine was in the category "Childhood Inspired." There were so many great entries, it was a tough competition!

Arriving early we got to scope out the joint, all the professional bakers were there with great setups, including my friend Meringue Bakeshop who - WON the Professional division for 'Most O.C.' inspired with her Orange Crush cupcake. It was delicious - a well deserved win!

There were some really unique entries, smores cupcakes, ice cream sundae cupcakes, and wouldn't you know it - a 'chicken and waffle' cupcake with REAL chicken inside! Since I was entering the 'Childhood Inspired' category I made an Ovaltine cupcake with cream cheese frosting for my 'sleeping babies' to lie on.

When the event started it quickly turned to chaos. People were grabbing cupcakes left and right - you were allowed three Professional ones and I think 3 amateur ones, tho it seemed more like a free for all.

When it was my turn I put my first box of 12 out, turned around and literally turned back around to see all of them were gone! People were going nuts! I put out 48 total and they were all gone in SECONDS. Craziness!

While I didn't win my division - I still made the TOP THREE! yay! It was so neat to see so many people who love baking and eating cupcakes. Even though I only ate three cupcakes (as opposed to 30 at the last cupcake event) I still fell into a deep sugar coma - or maybe I was just claustrophobic as over 800+ people were in attendance. Whew!

It was a great event and I look forward to the next challenge!

'Childhood Inspired' Cupcake recipe, here.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Our Man Horn said...

I smell a fix. A payoff. A backroom deal. =:^)

Monday, August 02, 2010 7:25:00 AM  
Blogger christina said...

I sampled many, many cupcakes at camp & yours was the only one that was PERFECTION. If yours came in 2nd, the winner must have put a "magic" ingredient in theirs. Ya know, the same stuff that goes into magic brownies.

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 9:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home