Sunday, September 26, 2010

Bowling for Soup

When I went to Hawaii for five nights and six days of PURE EATING, I looked up reviews on the internet, talked to friends - and almost everyone said 'Go to Aiea Bowl'. Now I've been there before - years ago - but now they have a new chef, and well - let's just say this ain't average bowling alley food.

The Chef was trained at Le Cordon Bleu and Le Bernardin (Eric Ripert LOVE, anyone?) and the menu shows. There are prix fixe menus every week, delicious takes on local food - but that's not why I came. No. Way. It's the sweets. They are reknown for their desserts. The blueberry scones are so popular they are usually sold out in the morning.

Proving that point I had to go TWICE, two days in a row, just to be able to
purchase that one scone. And it was totally worth it. Soft, sweet - it almost melted in your mouth.

But the true focus, the reason for going back again and again: The Lemon Crunch Cake. In the case it looks unassuming, ok - it's a lemon cake, what of it? Well, think layers of soft lemon cake, intertwined with lemon curd, a fluffy frosting and then laden with...toffee bits? You think it wouldn't work but it is AMAZING. I couldn't stop eating it.

It made me wish I could carry the cake back home or have it shipped, but the islands are far far away. So I took the same idea and made it into a cupcake form. While I love lemon, I wanted a taste that reminded me of Hawaii so I used Lilikoi (Hawaiian Passionfruit) instead, which proved to be a perfectly tart substitute
.

My little homages to the perfect lemon cake are nice stand ins, but I still long for the real thing. At the...bowling alley.

Lilikoi Crunch Cupcakes recipe, here.


Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger suburban housefrau said...

BFS is awesome. Saw them a couple weeks ago - went to HS with the bass player...

Sunday, September 26, 2010 12:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Karen said...

I had the lemon crunch cake for the first time this past May...it was amazing! And I'm not a lemon pastry lover. It was light, slightly tart, not too sweet, a tender crumb - a perfect balance! Wish I had some now.

Monday, September 05, 2011 9:56:00 AM  
Blogger sugarbunnycupcakes said...

I used to work there as a baker and make these delicious cakes, long enough to remember their recipes but I promised I wouldn't share it lol

Saturday, January 28, 2012 3:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home