Monday, September 13, 2010

Top 5 Coffee Desserts in Los Angeles

Next to root beer - coffee is my number one flava flav. I love it, especially in desserts. Whenever I go out if I see coffee this or that on the menu, I must have it.

I think you know I drive all over this town, therefore I've tried A LOT of desserts. Here are my Top 5 Coffee Flavored Desserts to be found here in Los Angeles...

1. Blanco y Negro at L.A. Mill in Silverlake
Why are we starting with number one? Because it is that good. Not only is it one of the hippest little boutiques in Silver Lake - it has a fantastic menu that I love to introduce to friends. While the food is great it's the Blanco y Negro that keeps me coming back for more.

Icy, almost crispy coffee granita - the purest smoothest of coffee - coupled with a dollop of the creamiest cold vanilla ice cream. When the two are combined they give you the brown/tan Pantone color palette of your dreams. Nice and refreshing even on the coldest of days, it'll always leave you wanting more.

2. Coffee Mochi Ice Cream at Mikawaya in downtown L.A.
There's no denying my love of mochi runs deep, but right here is the perfect combination of coffee and mochi - and the perfect price point.

At just around $1 you can get the tiniest of desserts that will leave you happy and satisfied. Rich coffee ice cream surrounded by the minimalist layer of coffee mochi. There is nothing cheaper that will make your life more complete.

3. Coffee Toffee Macaron Ice Cream Sandwich at Milk on Beverly
Are you serious? All you have to say is 'macaron' and I'm in. But add the fact that it's ten times the size of a normal macaron, and then with a good 2" thick of creamy coffee ice cream studded with chunks of toffee? I'm at a loss for words.

4. Coffee Creme Brulee at 85 Degrees in Irvine
Yeah, that's half eaten. Don't judge me - sometimes there's no time for pictures just diggin' in.

When I took one bite of this, I immediately wanted to go order a second one. That's how good it was. But the line - always a 30-40 minute wait and you wonder, what the hell is wrong with these people? Who would line up that long for baked goods? IT'S WORTH IT.

The crisp sugary creme brulee topping is made that much better with the addition of a rich coffee syrup. It is the most amazing experience I've ever had, in a tiny little cup. Someone go stand in line for me while I finish this one, thanks.

5. Mocha bouchons with Coffee Ice Cream at Bouchon by Thomas Keller in Beverly Hills
I know this is a tease....but this is NOT a regular menu item, I just happened to be graced with it's presence the day I decided to dine at Bouchon. It was a special dessert of the day and let me tell you - it was spectacular.

I love Thomas Keller, I love bouchons. In fact I make his recipe from scratch quite often (bouchon recipe, here). Forget that canned crap from Williams-Sonoma, there is nothing easier and tastier than making your own from scratch.

But what he did on this occasion was add coffee to make it a MOCHA BOUCHON. And then topped those warm chocolatey corks with a cold, rich coffee ice cream . To. Die. For. If this doesn't make you bow at the alter of Thomas Keller's kitchen, nothing will.

~And there you have it. My ode to coffee, the flavor that I love. If you feel the urge for a little pick me up while driving around L.A. I'm telling you, none of these will let you down.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Margie said...

Oh yum!

And, the title of your post, nice.

Monday, September 13, 2010 10:02:00 AM  
Anonymous janellest said...

I would like to add the coffee and doughnuts at The Edison downtown. I don't even like coffee, but these are mini-doughnuts with a coffee and cream flavored pudding to dip them in. It's amazing!

Monday, September 13, 2010 10:11:00 AM  
Blogger Our Man Horn said...

I'll vouch for the Blanco y Negro. Some of it is still coursing through my system.

Monday, September 13, 2010 10:25:00 AM  
Blogger joyce said...

I'll have to forward you an article about the French Laundry restaurant in our Sunday Paper.
That dessert looks really good!

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 11:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home