Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A grand day out

I went to San Francisco last weekend for the big Foodbuzz Fest - and while the festival was good, exploring the city was even better. It's always nice to travel with friends who like the same things. That being food, comics and food.

First stop: Hayes Valley. In all my travels up to the Bay, I've never made it to Isotope Comics - I've always meant to, it's just that my weekends are usually jam packed. I've known of the store for years, as well the friendly, knowledgable owner James Sime.
I call this pic: Battle of the Hair.

I went with Paul whose Cool Jerk books are availiable throughout the country - including Isotope. If you didn't know, Isotope is known for having AMAZING artists draw custom art on...toilet seats. Yep. Clean, new ones - mind you.

There is a 'gallery' of them that lines the walls - here you can find a gorgeous Catwoman by my fave Darwyn Cooke. I was lucky enough to witness Paul being handed...
...his very own brand new clean toilet seat to draw on. It's a huge honor and I can't wait to see what he comes up with!

Don't ask me how he got that on the plane. I told him to tell security he doesn't trust public toilet seats and that's why he carries his own with him at all times. Sounds...reasonable?

From there we headed down to the Mission where Darlene wanted to visit...a Pirate Supply Store. What. It's true, that's what the store seems like, but in actuality it's a Writing Center. 826 Valencia goes all out with the theming.


Props to them for the packaging. It was hard to NOT buy a bottle of Pink Eye, but then again - the plane. I don't know what security would say if you tried to board with a bottle of Pink Eye AND a toilet seat.
A slight walk further lead us to a store Parlene strolled around and I booked out of as fast as I could. A taxidermy plant shop, sure - but the mouse dressed as the Pope will give me nightmares for years.

After much begging we continued on to Tartine because lord knows I'd cry Dolphin Tears if I couldn't get me a Tartine morning bun. It's the only reason I fly to San Francisco. Not really, but I do dream about pastry.

I loved looking in the pastry cases. Such gorgeous things - especially the gougeres that were bigger than my head.

And if that wasn't enough - just up a block is Bi Rite ice cream. Truly the best ice cream ever, even in 40 degree weather I've stood in line for it. It's that good.

A simple 2-3 mile jaunt through the city (I drove, what are you nuts?) and my pop culture need AND my belly were full. Just the best day ever.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Darlene said...

Unfortunately Paul's hair needs to power up to compete with James'. Great weather. Great food. Great company!

Thursday, November 11, 2010 11:02:00 AM  
Blogger joyce said...

sounds like you had a good time =)

Friday, November 12, 2010 9:18:00 PM  
Blogger msdina said...

Tartine bread pudding is tops on my list too. What flavor(s) of Bi-Rite did you have. And what I'm waiting for, where did you have the best huevos rancheros???

Monday, November 15, 2010 8:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Constantine said...

The guy is definitely just, and there's no doubt.
genie bra reviews | Riddex reviews | bake pops reviews

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 6:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home