Sunday, November 28, 2010

L.A. face with an Oakland booty

I have been up to the Bay area three times this past month. I really am starting to love it there. Perhaps I should move. Hm...

This particular trip was A LOT of siteseeing. Lucasfilm + Skywalker Ranch for one! (recap here) Also the Charles Schulz museum and lots of other tasty and fun things which I'll write about soon.

But the coolest thing of all was this time around I decided to stay at the Hotel Tomo in Japantown. I figured Japantown was THE place to stay because there are so many restaurants with good Japanese food that stayed open late.

The cool thing about Hotel Tomo is that it's an anime/manga themed hotel! How neat is that?

The lobby, the hotel restaurant, even the rooms - were all totally pimped out with colorful murals and cool furniture, it was pretty awesome.

There was even a Giant Robot vending machine in the lobby...

...and all day great old skool Japanese shows playing on the tvs.

But the best part? The reason why I love this hotel? My room looked out onto Benkyodo my favorite and the best mochi store in all of San Francisco! Are you freakin' kidding me?! I just wanted to stare out the window all day. AND I DID.

At night I could see the light in the window where they were prepping the next day's mochi. IS THIS MY HEAVEN OR WHAT.

I am...a mochi stalker. I'd look out the window to see when they opened up in the morning and then I'd run down EVERYDAY and get fresh mochi.

Not exaggerating, I ate fresh mochi every morning and every night for four days straight. And I am sure I am a better person because of it.

More posts coming about the rest of the trip, but really - can you top an anime themed hotel that is across the street from daily fresh mochi?? I think not.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger The Food Librarian said...

this is my favorite post ever.

Monday, November 29, 2010 3:52:00 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Cool! This was our exact view when we stayed at Hotel Tomo earlier this year. Yet we never tried the mochi. Sad face.

Monday, November 29, 2010 9:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Darlene said...

I will have a suama please.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 8:55:00 PM  
Blogger joyce said...

Benkyoda is Anne's favorite too!
There's an ice cream/candy store in the mall that makes just simple squared mochi that I actually like.
That's the one I want to learn to make...which I'm sure you probably know how. It's probably a microwave mochi kind but I can't get the texture right.

Saturday, December 04, 2010 3:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Jonah said...

Very helpful info, thank you for your article.
Montreal airport | leopard flats | le Quebecois

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 8:25:00 AM  
Anonymous Norman said...

Pretty helpful piece of writing, thanks so much for your post.
games online

Monday, March 05, 2012 10:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home