Monday, January 17, 2011

Brick by brick

The Kid is now 7. How did this happen? Time is supposed to stand still.

When we started talking about a party, ideas were flying. He knows quite well that I am the Queen of Themed Parties and that he is my number one client. Very dangerous.

He is big into LEGOs right now, and needless to say they are all over my house. Of course, the party was to be LEGO themed. Even though it was only a small number of kids he insisted on a pinata, so off we went to my fave pinata place.

I was thinking something over the top and grandiose, like a Star Wars LEGO fig, or something awesome. Nope. The Kid wanted a giant blue LEGO. That's it. End of story. Bo to the ring. So the client got what he wanted and as usual La Pinata Party did an amazing job.

I am not a huge fan of giving the kids a lot of candy, but I did find these super cool LEGO sweet tarts that you can build with and eat!

I also filled the pinata with random toys, fruit chews, as well some very special LEGO minifigs.

As a toy collector I can tell you there is nothing more frustrating then blind box toys, because you never know what you are going to get. You should have heard the groans when some of the boys opened the minifigs only to find the 'girl tennis player'. Haw, sorry kids!

I totally pimped out the food, LEGO style. If someone tells you food is not important at a party - they are wrong. Especially at a kid's party. I've been to MANY, and as a parent - having to stand around eating not-so-good food for hours, just isn't fun.

I went nuts with the themeing as usual, too much to go into here but I will tell you the Kid (I mean the Client) just HAD to have cupcakes with edible LEGO minifig heads. "Come on Mom, I know you can do it." Yeesh. This Kid watches me sketch my ideas a little to closely, but he was right, I could do it.

So I used yellow chocolate. melted it down and piped it, and he got his edible yellow LEGO head cupcakes. You can read all about the food, here.

For the favors I got clear plastic boxes at the Japanese 99 cent store (which has way cooler stuff than an average 99 cent store).

Did you see that giant vase of LEGOS in the middle of the food table?

They sell bags of mixed up LEGOs at the LEGO store, so I bought two random bags to fill the vase, then tossed the whole lot onto the table for the kids to play.

At the end of the party I let them fill their plastic tool boxes with all the LEGOs they could carry.

I also added a little Star Wars Trooper minifig keychain because we can't have a party without Star Wars involved somewhere, as well as a candy connect 4 game for good measure.

In the end I think all the kids had fun, lots to eat and lots and lots of LEGO overload. Whew. Thank goodness it's 364 days until he turns 8...

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

OpenID maryclev said...

You parties are ALWAYS so awesome looking and sounding, I've decided that when my husband and I renew our wedding vows (cuz the first time, we got married in a tacky Vegas wedding chapel and we're gonna do it right next time) you will be planning and catering the party.

For reals.

WV: unkewine: what your divorced mom's "special" friend insists you call him.

Monday, January 17, 2011 9:38:00 PM  
Blogger Lorena said...

What an awesome party! With my first child on the way (and a boy at that), I'm TOTALLY stealing all your ideas. :)

And it sounds like you guys will be first in line when the Star Wars exhibits open up at Legoland later this year!

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Heather said...

This is so cute!! My almost 7 year old loves legos too! I love how you put everything together! Question: does your son keep together all the legos that he builds? Do you display them somewhere, or does he break them up? Just wondering how you handle that one. For some reason it totally bugs me when my son gets a new Lego builds it up all nice, only to find it on the side somewhere all broken into pieces a few days later! Argh!

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 10:37:00 AM  
Blogger joyce said...

wow! my son would of loved attending that lego party! my son loves legos!
i'll have to post the mario figure he made from watching a you tube video...

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 10:31:00 PM  
Blogger linda said...

OK, I'm dense, it takes a minute. I couldn't FIGure out why you were giving out mini figs to eat! Duh! Gotta get with the abrevs.

Great looking party!
Linda

Thursday, January 20, 2011 10:25:00 AM  
Blogger L.A. Story said...

Wow, that looks amazing! And happy birthday to The Kid! :)

Thursday, January 20, 2011 11:33:00 PM  
Blogger Red Spotted Patch said...

OMG! Cynthiaf told me I had to check out your Lego cupcakes! They are so awesome! Lego is a very serious thing at our house. My boys love it but my husband, after making a Lego DS game has become even more in love with anything Lego (he collects the mini figs and never opens them, can you believe it!) It just goes to show you can never be to old to have fun or perhaps to have a 39th Lego birthday party ;)

Friday, May 06, 2011 1:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home