Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Force will be with you, always.

All that lovely sunshine we had last week went away and in came the storm clouds. How do you entertain kids by yourself when it rains like this? Take them to a bookstore, of course. Not just any bookstore - Kinokuniya in Little Tokyo downtown.

This store is amazing. It's packed with the cutest (kawaii) items. I could spend hours in the stationery section alone. In fact when I was there today I was surprised to walk in and see...Star Wars!Oh these things were gorgeous. I asked the lady what they were for, because they were so thin and long - they seemed like wall hangings. But she said people use them as scarves or towels. What.

These towel/scarves were straight from Japan and came in nice small simple packaging, like all Japanese things.

It seemed like they had a bunch of different patterns availiable.

In addition to those I also saw actual scarves - well at least that's what I think they were since they were more pocket square sized:

Check out those patterns. I thought they'd make great material to sew into something else like a small tote.

As I drooled over these things - the kids kept themselves busy in the children's section. I let them use their saved up xmas $ to buy whatever they wanted. Lord. Freedom of choice is bad.They picked out these horrible Power Rangers books. I only say horrible because 1. there's no content and 2. It's all in Japanese. And since we are bad Asians, I have no idea what the books say.

However they do use the books as reference to draw pictures when we all do art together at night, so I'm sorta ok with it. Sorta.

Contrary to the useless books, I noticed the kid was reading this book on how to learn Chinese characters called "The Pet Dragon" by Christoph Niemann. He seemed to pick it up rather quickly. In just a matter of minutes he was rewriting and remembering all the characters. Sometimes I feel like I've given birth to Rainman.

So I grabbed that book too and now the Kid is well on his way to learning Chinese. Interesting. Since we aren't Chinese. Oh well, learning is learning.

We stayed at the store for a several hours. It was hard to leave, I'm not gonna lie. Don't even get me started on the cute bento book section. I could stay there all day.

Kinokuniya
Weller Court in Little Tokyo
Los Angeles

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger joyce said...

I love going to Kinokuniya here in SF. There are so many cute things to buy. Cute but sometimes frivolous - I need to be careful when I do go. I guessing the one down there is bigger.

Sunday, January 30, 2011 3:30:00 PM  
Blogger AccordingToAngela.com said...

My husband and I went there for the first time in December - we were hanging out in the area killing time before the George Lopez show at Nokia Live lol. Anyway, I saw all those Star Wars scarves and I immediately thought of you and was contemplating buying some but then I realized I wouldn't know how to get them to you. I'm pretty sure you would've thought it was creepy if I messaged you and said "I have a package for you, please give me your home address - you'll love it, I swear!" haha :)

Sunday, January 30, 2011 4:53:00 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Jenn- you are so much like my dad was with me when I was growing up. Anything I wanted art, books, music wise was mine, because he wanted me to learn. (my mom thought this stuff was pretty useless and bought me a lot of play make up sets and what not. boo)

Monday, January 31, 2011 6:36:00 AM  
Anonymous Lysa said...

My kids know I'm a total sucker when it comes to books. I'm also a sucker for pop culture-I love the Star Wars tea towels!-Must have-I never really understood the what the big deal was about Star Wars until I had my boys and was submitted to watching it countless times. Now I think I could justify owning such tea towels since I'm pretty sure I could hold my own in a Star Wars trivia pursuit. IG-88 anyone?

Monday, January 31, 2011 6:29:00 PM  
Anonymous poppy said...

"And since we are bad Asians,..." Classic. I can totally relate.

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 12:07:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home