Sunday, March 06, 2011

Building up our brains with the supernatural powers, we take it from the trees and the mighty Watts Towers

I'm not fond of the term, 'Bucket List.' I mean, kick the bucket? It sounds so...morbid. Needless to say, there are a few things that O.G. hasn't done - and we've been slowly making our way through them.

While she's spent most of her 90 years here in Los Angeles, it's sort of a surprise that she's never seen the Watts Towers. She's always wanted to go and never had the chance.

Located in South L.A., it's sort of surprising to see this monument right in the middle of a residential neighborhood. Built by Simon Rodia an Italian immigrant - he worked on the towers for 35 years. I have to say, if my neighbor had piles of cement, trash, bottles - and was building what could possibly be a monstrosity vs. a masterpiece in his front yard? I'd call 911.

On first approach O.G. wasn't impressed, but I begged her to look a little deeper. The intricate detail work is almost astonishing. On closer inspection, you find true detailed art pieces and amazing structural feats. In fact the city did an engineering test to see if they could pull the towers down and they didn't budge. Pretty impressive for being built by one man with a vision.

I always felt like there were very Gaudi-esque qualities in the towers. So many small patterns, so many details. After exploring the structure O.G. soon fell in love, and definitely wants to go back for the full tour, which they offer on the weekends.

The towers are designated as a National Historic Landmark and an important piece of Los Angeles history.

Watts Towers info, here.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Nanette said...

Gorgeous! I've never been, but I need to visit.

Sunday, March 06, 2011 10:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Toya said...

Haven't been in years. Thanks for reminding me. I think i'll take the kids and share a bit of LA's culture with them. Your awesome!!!

Monday, March 07, 2011 5:49:00 AM  
OpenID djstephaniebell said...

ive wanted to see those since they were in an episode of six feet under. so pretty

Monday, March 07, 2011 6:23:00 AM  
Blogger caninecologne said...

i've always wanted to see the watts towers...very cool post and photos.

whenever we take road trips, i usually try to squeeze in at least one pop culture worthy place and/or a roadside oddity. this fits the bill for both.

Monday, March 07, 2011 3:53:00 PM  
Anonymous pserendipity said...

Wow. I'd never heard of the Watts Towers. That site was really interesting! If ever I travel out West, I'd love to visit them!

Thursday, March 10, 2011 1:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Oberon said...

I consider everyone must read this.
Halifax airport | mortgage calculator Canada | secretary sex video

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home