Thursday, March 03, 2011

Take this pink ribbon off my eyes , I'm exposed and it's no big surprise

Today is March 3rd, Japanese Girl's Day. I remember celebrating this every year as a child. Yes, there was dressing up in kimonos. No, there are no pictures of that.

It's called Hinamatsuri also known as the Japanese Doll Festival. You are supposed to put dolls out on display and eat candies and mochi. Yum! I remember my mom pulling out the dolls from their year round storage, taking them out of cardboard boxes and putting them on the table in the living room. My other Grandmother was a seamstress and she used make elaborate Japanese dolls by hand with fabric she got from Japan.

There was a Boy's Day too, but in typical history-rewrite, they've gotten rid of Boy's Day and now call it Children's Day. What. So the boys don't get a day but they girls get to keep theirs? Doesn't seem fair to me.

Since I don't have girls - today is not as important to me as it used to be since there's no one to celebrate with. On this day you are supposed to eat Chirashi but I'm not a fan of it since I'm a bad Asian. You are also supposed to eat Sakura mochi - again, bad Asian - not a fan. Instead I will celebrate Girl's Day in my own way and eat mochi - but in brownie form.

Eating mochi and watching Oprah sounds like a very girl thing to do for Girls Day.

Chocolate Mochi Brownies recipe, here.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger The Food Librarian said...

You don't eat Sakura Mochi either?!?!? Oh dear. I'm taking away your card and perhaps even membership in the Crazians. :) Happy Girls Day to you! - mary

Thursday, March 03, 2011 9:22:00 AM  
Blogger Zakka Life said...

Your brownie mochi looks delicious. I was actually thinking of making something similar today.

Happy Girl's Day!

Thursday, March 03, 2011 9:42:00 AM  
Blogger Margie said...

I'm a bad Mexican.

Thursday, March 03, 2011 9:47:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings and Salutations --
I didn't care for the Sakura mochi either; the thought of eating mochi wrapped in FOLIAGE? Not a good thing. I remember having the pretty pink & white striped mochi (sometimes they had light green stripes inter-mixed) for Girl's Day, I think their technical name is Suama? YUM!
I also remember my Grandma putting a glass doll case in the living room - it had a tiered platform with little Hina dolls & trinkets in it...ahh, memories.

Happy Girl's Day!
PAX,
Lola from Las Vegas

Thursday, March 03, 2011 11:35:00 AM  
Blogger RB_Mom said...

We celebrated Girl's day today at work with all the boys (men?) buying us pastries from Torrance Bakery & sandwiches from Guiliano's for lunch!

Thursday, March 03, 2011 4:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home