Monday, March 21, 2011

They're always after me lucky charms...

Look, when I was a kid (In olden times) we didn't really...believe in leprechauns? What I mean is, St. Patrick's Day was celebrated, in that we wore green and yes, you were pinched if you didn't. Here's how things change - I told the Baby to wear a green shirt or he'd get pinched and he said, "We aren't allowed to touch each other's personal space at school." Okie dokie, got it. How very PC St. Patrick's Day has become. I appreciate it, but whatever - goodbye fun.

Onto the next issue - so St. Paddy's Day is pc now, however they teach the kids to TOTALLY BELIEVE THAT A LITTLE LEPRECHAUN WILL BREAK INTO OUR HOUSE AT ANY MOMENT. Really? Apparently at school tables are turned upside down, crayons strewn about. It's crazy town in elementary school. Leprechauns sound like jerks to me.

So as we left in the morning I noticed the Kid furiously scribbling something as we were running out the door. "It's for the leprechaun when he comes to our house today!" he exclaimed.

WHAT. No one told me this was a holiday that I needed to be aware of. Meaning: no one told me I'd need to run around looking for treats to leave and pretend some creature broke into our house and left it. Ya dig? He looked so excited I didn't know what to say.

Sooo, I did it. I grabbed O.G. and we went out hunting for treats for the leprechaun to leave. We ended up at Sees where lo and behold, little chocolate leprechauns at $1 a piece. I'll take it! And I happened to have some Hanukkah gelt left over...cause we're totally Jewish (we're not Jewish) so I tossed that into the mix as well.

VOILA. Instant leprechaun carnage. The Kid was THRILLED when he got home and he and the Baby couldn't stop talking about the leprechaun's 'visit.' I leaned back in the chair pleased with myself waiting for the Mommy of the Year committee to call until I realized...do I have to do this crap til he's 30 or what? How long will this ruse go on?? How much leprechaun fake-age am I responsible for? Will he need therapy when he finds out it's actually me? WHEN WILL THIS NIGHTMARE END?

Well. That was my St. Patrick's Day. How was yours?

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer W. said...

I love Sees holiday candy! I *think* the coins were re-stocked especially for St. Paddy's day. We also scored some chocolate potatoes earlier in the month, but when I went back to replenish for my own kid's leprechaun siting, they were all gone...

Monday, March 21, 2011 3:03:00 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Dude...I paid a visit to my 5 yr old nephew-cousin this past weekend. He told me a similar story about how the Leprechaun went to his classroom while they were outside, messed some things up and left chocolate money. Um, yeah.....

Monday, March 21, 2011 3:42:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I'm with you...since when?!?!? I have no idea when the schools thought up this brilliant plan, but they forgot to inform the rest of the world! Oh, just an FYI so you will be prepared. Elf on the Shelf....totally hit my school this year. Google it. (I happened to receive one as a gift last yr, so I accidentally knew what was going on.)

Monday, March 21, 2011 4:03:00 PM  
Blogger caninecologne said...

i asked my daughter if they learned about leprechauns at school. they did not. they watched a short animated film about the origin of st. patrick's day. nothing exciting. "pretty lame" were her words, haha. and she wore green too.

we are pretty much done with the tooth fairy here ever since she was pretending to sleep and saw my husband taking her tooth and replacing it with $$$.

Monday, March 21, 2011 4:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Barb said...

I bought some Lucky Charms and stuff to make Shamrock Shakes for the kids, but then I told them that I was the leperchaun. I felt like it was enough! I fully support Santa, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy, but I draw the line at the leperchaun - lol! I'm not doing it.

Monday, March 21, 2011 7:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The project for school celebrating St. Paddy's day was a leperchaun catcher??? We needed to come up with leperchaun bait, wth!

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 1:37:00 PM  
Anonymous poppy said...

In Ireland, you go to mass on St. Patrick's Day which is a national holiday. Then you go to the pub. No ridiculous leprechauns, no chocolate, no nothing. I'm just sayin'.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 10:54:00 PM  
Anonymous free psychics said...

Who do believe on lucky charms? For me, I love collecting it especially the bracelets but I don't totally believe on it. I do read horoscopes everyday too.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 10:53:00 PM  
Anonymous free psychics said...

Who do believe on lucky charms? For me, I love collecting it especially the bracelets but I don't totally believe on it. I do read horoscopes everyday too.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 10:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Woodsy said...

Ok, I'm just now reading this today; this has got to be my favorite story yet!!! Sooo cute!

Thursday, March 24, 2011 12:47:00 PM  
Blogger RB_Mom said...

Andrew told me this morning that someone had turned off their alarm clock today before it went off & he thinks it was a leprechaun.
I think it was his sister, but I didn't confirm it.

Friday, March 25, 2011 12:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Lynne said...

This year, I'm making green Jello, tinting the mashed potatoes green, and we'll have green pasta - or somethin'. Hapy St. P's Day.

Monday, March 05, 2012 8:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home