Monday, April 11, 2011

Disneyland Part 1. - The Hotel

For Spring Break I wanted to take the kids somewhere, anywhere. But as always, due to money and time we ended up back at the Magic Kingdom - our home away from home. Seriously - when we arrived the check in guy said, "Is this your first visit?" and I said, "Um, first...this week." I go to Disneyland A LOT.
Now that the kids go to school it's harder - school, holidays, work schedules, we've succomed to having to vacay...during peak season. Ugh. Gone are the days of no lines and freedom, now we (along with every other tourist) are jamming into the park.

So to make it easier I thought we'd stay one night at the hotel. Disneyland owned hotels are the best because they FEEL very Disney-fied and there are a lot of perks.
My first choice was Grand Californian - way too expensive. Then our fave hotel the Disneyland Hotel - totally booked. They only room they had available was at the Paradise Pier, still a Disney hotel - it's just off the beaten path a bit. It was more affordable and fit for what I wanted.

 The Paradise Pier is 'beach' themed. With a nice buffet restaurant, shops and a cafe. It also has a rooftop pool along with 'rollercoaster' slide.
Typical of Disney there are lots of things for the kids to do. In the main lobby while you are checking in and doing your business there is a tv room to keep your kids busy - complete with little adorable beach chairs where kids can watch old Disney cartoons.
And they have an arcade. The Kid was dying to play games here, it really took me back to the 80s. Since it was his vacation I let him play all the games his little heart desired. The "games" weren't that great if you ask me. Explain to me how riding a FAKE rollercoaster is at all fun when real ones are across the street in a real theme park?? Whatever. It was HIS day.

At check in the front desk guy went to get my keys but came back with...A BALLOON BOUQUET. I looked around awkwardly. Er. He said, "YOU ARE CHOSEN AS THE KAHUNA FAMILY OF THE DAY!" Really? Us? Great! Now what does that mean...

It means that my cheapest of the cheap average room that I could barely afford was magically upgraded to a huge family suite!
The room had the regular two beds, with a tv and a desk, TWO bathrooms, a large a living room with a dining table and another tv and the best view of the park! Exciting!
It really came in handy having two bathrooms, as you know if both kids have to go at the same time, sometimes there's just no holding it. Also since my cousin was along with me to help me with the kids, now she got a bed to herself since the living room couch was yet another pull out bed! Room enough for everyone! Luxury!

In addition to the upgrade we also got early access to the theme park (more on that later), balloons, leis, a family photograph and free treats!
Look at those treats...! They magically (again with the magic) arrived in our room while we were out and totally hit the spot as a late night snack.
We also had a turndown service with little Disney chocolates.

The view WAS spectacular, no joke. No wonder people pay for a room with a view, it was pretty awesome and also had a direct view of the nightly World of Color, should you want to watch that without leaving the comfort of a bed.
The Kid LOVES theme parks. Honestly, he is the only 7 year old I know who actually draws up plans and makes models of theme park rides...for fun. (I have a sinking feeling he will be following in my career footsteps.) He was in awe and spent every second in the room staring out the window at the vast theme park in front of him.

I'd say it was pretty awesome being picked as 'Kahuna Family of the Day'. I wish I had more time to enjoy my upgraded luxury but there was fun to be had... (cont'd)

Disneyland - The Food
Disneyland - World of Color
Disneyland - The Fun

Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous poppy said...

Excellent, Miss Kahuna! :)

Monday, April 11, 2011 3:53:00 AM  
Blogger Bully said...

Kahuna matata!

Do you realize how much cold hard cash Disney would make if they sold those shampoos and soaps with the Mickey ears at Target?

Monday, April 11, 2011 4:47:00 AM  
Blogger Our Man Horn said...

I was going to say something about how much WIN this was, until I read Bully's "Kahuna Matata" comment. THAT was win!

But yes, that's awesome, Jenn. From Staycation to NO WAYcation. Disney should give you guys the key to the city, too!

Monday, April 11, 2011 7:19:00 AM  
Blogger The Food Librarian said...

What a great time!!! Family of the day. You guys rock. What a huge suite!!!

Monday, April 11, 2011 11:15:00 AM  
Blogger trouble said...

I had no idea the hotel offered such a fun upgrade. That's wonderful. Enjoy the park!

Monday, April 11, 2011 11:46:00 AM  
Blogger Shari said...

With all of the time and money you've spent almost weekly to the Disneyland Corporation, you earned this! At least this....lol

Monday, April 11, 2011 4:35:00 PM  
Blogger The Kat's Meow said...

Sounds amazing! Congratulations!

Monday, April 11, 2011 5:53:00 PM  
Blogger RB_Mom said...

I'm so jealous! I wouldn't have left that room!

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 10:12:00 AM  
Blogger lindsay said...

My daughter has a Snuffy too! They are the best!

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 4:36:00 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Wow! Congrats on the upgrade! I have a fantasy to someday stay at a Disneyland resort. You and your kids are making some great memories! So awesome!

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 8:38:00 PM  
Blogger jessica okui said...

A similar thing happened to us too when we stayed at the Paradise Pier. They upgraded us to a suite and we had it for the week! It was honestly the best family vacation ever. I also like that you can see the fireworks from the rooftop of that hotel and they pipe in the music that goes with the program.

Monday, April 29, 2013 4:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home