Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Disneyland Part 2. - The Food

Theme park food can be tough. Since I don't let my kids eat fast food sometimes it's hard to find alternatives and theme park food in general is always EXPENSIVE. But Disneyland food - I promise you it's some of the best park food you'll ever have if you know what to look for. I could write a book on the ins and outs of the best (and worst) places to eat at Disneyland.

Breakfast is one of my favorite meals in the park. It's my fave meal anytime of the day, but there's something special about a Mickey Pancake to brighten your morning.
The River Belle Terrace is a nice restaurant that straddles Frontierland and Adventureland. In the afternoon they have hearty sandwiches but in the early morning you can get breakfasts big enough to share.

It was unusually hot on this trip - up near 80 degrees and here we are in April! To keep cool we ate frozen treats like there was no tomorrow:
Disneyland's legendary Dole Pineapple Whip. Sometimes the line is almost as long as a ride line, but if you stick it out you will be rewarded with the refreshing taste of fresh pineapple.

There's a lot of renovation going on, ride closures, upgrades - and some changes to the menus. I don't think the average tourist would notice but since I'm at Disneyland EVERY WEEK, I know when prices go up by 50 cents trust me.

The Hungry Bear Restaurant (named that since the Bear Jamboree used to be there long ago) is an outdoor fast service food where you can eat right on the edge of the water by the Rivers of America. While it has normal burger and fries fare - I noticed that they recently added a 'healthier' (that's all relative) vegetarian alternative.
This is the new 'Fried Green Tomato' sandwich. I like to go for the no meat option anytime I can AND I love fried food (see, not so healthy) so I couldn't wait to order this. It was surprisingly good. Perfect breading and LOTS of flavor due to the remoulade combined with a nice crunchy jicama-mango slaw right in the sandwich. The onion rings were eh - the other option was sweet potato fries - but all in all I'd say this was my favorite meal of the whole weekend and I'd definitely go back for it.
Another 'healthy' option for kids is the Kids Power Pack. Yogurt, apple crisps, string cheese, crackers and milk or juice - it's a vegetarian alternative for a child or a snack that is affordable and easy to keep in with you all day.

Disneyland is always up on trends and innovative desserts. They really cash in on that by 'Disney-ing' up those cute little sweet snacks that you just can't pass up. At the Hungry Bear I spotted two desserts new that were ADORABLE:
A mini individual blueberry pie - too cute for words, as well as the Lemon 'Bumbleebee' Cupcake. A lemon cream filled cupcake with a honey-lemon frosting. Yum.

I could gush all day about how all these eats made me happy - but it wasn't all fun and games on this trip. There be squalls ahead...(cont'd)

part 1: Disneyland Hotel
part 3: World of Color
part 4:  The Fun!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Ferreh Hiatt said...

I enjoyed this post because we hope to take our kids to Disney World (since we're on the eastern half of the Mississippi) in a couple of years and I'm glad to know that Disney has some better food options available! Made me hungry just reading about that sandwich!

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 5:50:00 AM  
Blogger A Mom Like You said...

I noticed 2 yrs ago we went a few days before Easter they had fish & chips @ a few places in Disneyland. Which is my daughter's fav. form of fast food . We were told it was due to lent. I had never seen it done any other time. It was some of the best fish & chips ever!

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 7:59:00 AM  
Blogger RB_Mom said...

The Hungry Bear is my fave place to eat! Totally not healthy at all, but I love the crispy chicken sandwich. I'm so glad that it's back open!

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 10:08:00 AM  
Blogger xtena said...

We'll be there soon. So, this hot info comes in real handy!

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 7:07:00 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I loved it when a few years ago they added the bacon-wrapped asparagus at the food stand near Indiana Jones. Since I haven't been in over a year and a half (*sniff*), not sure if they still have it. Oh, I guess it's not that healthy either, but oh-so-yummy!

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 8:40:00 PM  
Blogger MacySamin said...

Have you also had lunch at the Thunder Mountain Ranch BBQ? It's all you can eat BBQ ribs, chicken, cornbread, beans and cole slaw! I highly recommend it :) The cole slaw was unbelievable and they also have a GIANT serving tray size baked cookie with ice cream! YUM

Thursday, April 14, 2011 12:05:00 AM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

have you ever been to the french market in New orleans? its one of my favorite places to go when im in the park as a guest (im a CM), but i remember as a little kid always going there the 2 trips my family took there before i moved to socal and hired in. also the hunny spot at critter has some amazing sweets as well. anyways im writing a blog on what its like to work for disneyland resort, and i love reading blog posts from guests and their positive experiences =)

Sunday, July 15, 2012 5:44:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home