Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Disneyland Part 3. - World of Color

Happiest Place on Earth? Well. Sometimes.

Let's move on to the bad news. On our last Disneyland stay the best meal I had was at Ariel's Grotto (recap here). I decided that since I loved the food so much, I'd book an evening reservation (which is prix fixe) just because it gives you exclusive access to the new World of Color show. Something we've been dying to see and is generally tough to get a seat for without a long wait.
This was going to be perfectly planned, a delicious dinner - a quick and easy way to get into the show. Not so much. During the day Ariel's Grotto is perfect for kids because you get to visit with all the Disney princesses.

Much to my boys happiness the night seating has no princesses at all so you're just eating a regular meal. This SHOULD mean that you get faster service. We ended up sitting there with 30 minutes wait between courses - it was unbearable.

Unfortunately the quality has gone downhill so much in the past few years I was appalled. Our food was...horrible. The Baby's meat dish was completely over cooked and my fish was totally undercooked. On top of that, after waiting so long to get it - it was truly a disappointment.
The desserts were pretty - but they tasted completely awful. Definitely a disappointment.

After an HOUR AND A HALF wait I was seeing red. I ended up having to talk to a manager, I got a larger discount than the one I already had and they took off my fish dish. Still, considering the prix fixe on this meal was SKY HIGH even for Disney - there were NO Disney standards here. I was very saddened by this whole meal.
But the whole point of the meal was to see World of Color right - my problem with this show is that everyone stands up (as opposed to Fantasmic where everyone sits down) so there's no way to see...anything. I'm incredibly short so when a 6 foot tall man with a child on his shoulders stands in front of you - well there's just nothing to see. Same for my poor kids.

I'd definitely suggest heading over to the Magic Kingdom and seeing Fantasmic. That is totally worth the wait. It is so much more engaging to the audience and has much better viewing areas.

In the end we went back to the room and watched the second showing of World of Color from the comfort of our newly upgraded beds. At least we had snacks to make up for the bad meals. And they were free.
While the night's meal was a disappointment we had to just sleep it off because in the morning we were headed into the park...early. (con'td)

part 1: Disneyland Hotel
part 2: The Food
part 4: The Fun!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Jesser said...

Dude. THANK YOU. I hated Ariel's Crappy Grotto too. I was so irritated at the friend who recommended it. What a waste of $$. I still regret not bitching any more than I did. I had just run 13.1 miles though, so I was a bit weak. Hated that place.

I did however love the soups near the French Quarter and the river boats and the awesome BBQ in Frontier Land.

Also hated World of Color ... my short self had the SAME PROBLEM. Only we were dumb enough to pay for their crappy "picnic" and "preferred seating" which was a cattle call with nowhere to sit. Major disappointment there.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 6:50:00 AM  
Blogger APlanet4Creation said...

That's terrible about the bad food & wait at Ariel's Grotto. The girls had a great time and we loved the food during our Princess Lunch.

We couldn't believe that you couldn't sit down for World of Color. Nothing like standing for 3 hours after you have been on your feet all day!! We had to line up a good 2 hours before and then the hour of the show. Hubby's knee was crying "I give up". We only did it once and watched from the comfort of the hotel room. They also need to do a better job of explaining the World of Color lunch. We thought it was something we could eat while watching World of Color. Nope, its tickets to World of Color for the evening and lunch for you to eat when you picked up the tickets.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 6:52:00 AM  
Anonymous Kristin said...

I definitely think you should give World of Color a couple more attempts!!

I'm a shorty too and it really does suck to watch the back of someone's head for 25 minutes AND stand for that long. But when you actually do get to see, it's quite amazing! I actually prefer it over Fantasmic, and I'm always at Disneyland, watching all of the shows too. It is a different experience because it doesn't have the characters, but the effects are awesome! Every time I see it, I notice something new! And it's good to watch it from a variety of places, as you get a different experience in different areas. You just have to weasel your way in to the front! And use the WOC fast passes at Grizzly River Run!

I don't know.. Maybe it's me because I think pretty much everything at Disneyland is awesome! But WOC is my favorite show! So as a fellow Disney fan, I'd say don't write World of Color off just yet!

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 6:23:00 PM  
Blogger A Mom Like You said...

Thanks so much for the honest review of the WOC. Were heading there soon & I was going to pre-pay for the WOC & dinner. We so won't be doing that now. I have been really happy w/ Par Pier. We have stayed @ all 3 properties numerous times.All 6 Par Pier stays we have either been upgraded, balloons, early check-ins, free Disney Store gift cards, evening treat platters, gifted stuffed animals. And these were all visits when we booked the cheapest rooms off season. And I will say their staff is always the most upbeat.Luv em!

Thursday, April 14, 2011 10:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home