Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Stankonia

I hate the earth. Ok, hang on - don't get nuts, I'm just saying, sometimes doing the right thing is hard. Like using reusable bags. They're great...until you buy some raw chicken at the grocery store and the bagger doesn't exactly put it in your organic eco-friendly fabric bag properly then you put it in your trunk then it leaks everywhere and then you pull into your garage see the damage, curse like a sailor and shake your fists at the sky...

...otherwise they're great.

So this leaky chicken juice? It's a killer. It leaked into the carpet of my trunk and the kids kept saying, "WHY DOES THE CAR SMELL LIKE BARF, MOMMY?" No joke, it was horrific. I scrubbed it, Febreezed it, nothing.

I took it to a car wash and even the manager shook his head and said, "I bet raw meat leaked in here, I don't think I can help you." I paid them to shampoo the trunk anyway and he was right. The stank stayed.

Look, I spend A LOT of time in my car. My $70 fill up at the gas station can attest to that, so this stink - I just couldn't live with it. I did a lot of research to find out how other people who've had the same issues got rid of smell, and the stories were horrifying. Someone had a jar of pickles explode in their car. (What the?) Another person had frozen dead rabbits defrosting for two days in their trunk that they forgot about (double WHAT??) so I knew these people would probably have the answer.
I tried laundry detergent, baking soda, Febreeze, and just as I was about to sell the car I came across a post that suggested vanilla extract. Oddly enough I had just won a year's supply of vanilla in a recipe contest. It couldn't hurt to try.

I mixed together 2 teaspoons of vanilla with 10 ounces of water, sprayed the trunk and hoped for the best. It was like the clouds opened up and a miracle appeared. The smell was gone. COMPLETELY. There wasn't even a vanilla smell it was just....nothing. Have you ever smelled absolutely nothing? It's amazing. Like someone has gotten rid of one of your senses totally.

I sprayed the trunk a few more times over the course of two days and I am happy to say as of today, I am STANK FREE. I need to bottle this miracle elixer and make a fortune. Little bottles of this to squirt on the sweaty masses at Comic Con would do wonders, just sayin'.

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger Nanette said...

BRILLIANT!

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:31:00 AM  
Blogger Lilcee said...

I was wondering when you were gonna disclose your secret. Tks cuz my parents minivan stinks of chicken guts from transporting food. Hey, they own a restaurant.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:41:00 AM  
Blogger trouble said...

It really worked. I used the vanilla spray in my van and kids' bathroom. Both smell clean.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:05:00 AM  
Blogger Margie said...

Dang! I once had my cat pee in my car (vet visit gone awry) and it was BAD. If only....

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:58:00 AM  
Anonymous Leslie said...

Wow! Fantastic!

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 11:19:00 AM  
Blogger Andrea (Off Her Cork) said...

Wow that is a fantastic tip! I was just about to recommend vodka since it's odorless and is an antibacterial. But vanilla extract, who knew?! Thanks for passing that on!

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 1:15:00 PM  
Anonymous karen said...

That is an awesome tip. Now I have a use for the 2 liters of homemade vanilla extract hiding out in my garage.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 4:08:00 PM  
Blogger Sizzle said...

DEAD RABBITS? Ew. Seriously?

This was my favorite part:
Have you ever smelled absolutely nothing? It's amazing. Like someone has gotten rid of one of your senses totally.

Ha ha.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 4:25:00 PM  
Blogger caninecologne said...

wow, thanks for sharing the secret of getting rid of really bad car odors! i wished i knew about that when i spilled squid adobo in my car last year! ugh, it stank for days! i think it's interesting that your car was odor free - you'd think there's be some vanilla smell but no. very cool indeed!

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:46:00 PM  
Blogger camille said...

that's amazing! wish i had a spray bottle full of this for 'cons. and work. haha

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:31:00 PM  
Blogger Susie Farmgirl said...

Interesting! This is going to come in handy...

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 9:27:00 AM  
Blogger JR's Mommy said...

Ever spilled milk in your car?! yeah my Mom did, twice!! The smell never went away and that was the end of buying milk in glass bottles for us! This would have been a life saver!!!!

Thursday, April 21, 2011 3:08:00 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Your posts always crack me up! It's amazing the things you find online when you google something. I mean, the things people have gotten themselves into or the weird, freaky things that are 10x worse than your weird, freaky things...I mean, EVERYTHING, is on the net!

Thursday, April 21, 2011 10:44:00 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I wonder if it works for "pet odors." Hmmmmm....

Thursday, April 21, 2011 12:40:00 PM  
Anonymous JenHamm said...

My husband left a 2-pack of vacuum packed ribs in his truck for a WEEK while we were out of town. Needless to say, when we came home, we found they had exploded. It was like cleaning up after a murder - seriously some Pulp Fiction scariness. We've tried everything, but the truck still smells like a dead animal. I shall put your vanilla solution to the ultimate test. THANKS:)

Friday, September 09, 2011 5:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home