Monday, May 30, 2011

A pirate's life for me

I don't often splurge anymore but if I do, you can bet it's on something Disney.

The kids are at an age now where they just love movies, so it seemed to be the perfect time to take them to the El Capitan. The El Capitan is a Disney owned theatre in the heart of Hollywood, and by heart I mean it's right on Hollywood Blvd, surrounded by tourists, opportunists and every walk of life known to man.

They feature a new Disney release every few months but I've never had anything interest me. There were always lots of fairytale movies - but we're all boys here, we're not interested in that. So when Pirates came up, I knew that was the one. Johnny Depp?? Hello.

I got VIP orchestra tickets which were perfect, right down close to the stage and excellent viewing for little shorties. With your ticket you get reserved seating and it comes with free popcorn in a themed bucket (of course) and the drink of your choice.

You also get 'souvenirs' from the movie - in this case, 'Pieces of Eight' for you to play pirate at home.

Now usually the El Capitan puts on a big stage show and has games and entertainment set up in the back, sadly that wasn't the case this time but life is kind of nice without hoopla sometimes.

So they had the 'world famous' organist play Disney tunes on the organ much to the delight of the crowd. Everyone knew each song, of course.

They also had a lot of props from the movie, including original art, as well as the actual costumes worn by the actors.

To celebrate our Pirate-y day I made a pirates themed dinner for the kids (recap, here). The movie mya have gotten so so reviews, but I thought it was fun and exciting - I don't ask for much more from movies, or for my kids to be entertained which they were.

The El Capitan is such a fun way to experience a movie, I can't wait to go back. I hear when they premiere Cars next month, they are transforming the entire back lot with Cars themed games and jumpers and it sounds like pure little-boy-happy-craziness. I'm in.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger The Food Librarian said...

What a fun day!! Love the dinner too and those "find the treasure" treats. :)

Monday, May 30, 2011 8:52:00 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I always loved doing the VIP thing at the El Capitan! What a great experience. Can't wait to again, someday!

Monday, May 30, 2011 12:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home