Tuesday, June 28, 2011

All work and no donuts make Jack a dull boy.

Best embroidery I've ever seen.
My Uncle LOVES mom + pop stores. I jokingly call him the 'Norm' of the Southland because like Cheers, 'everyone knows his name' when he drops into these places.

Like me, my Uncle loves little hole-in-the-wall places with interesting things and great food and proving that we are related - he also loves donuts. Remember my family visit to a donut buffet? Yeah, that pretty much sums us up.
One of his faves is Primo's Donuts in Westdale. Located on Sawtelle in West L.A., the storefront is so small, I've eaten in that shopping center many a time and never even knew it was there. If you read articles on the 'best donuts in L.A.' their name almost always makes the list.

Nondescript, clean and tiny - this little donut shop is a gem for locals. Not only are the friendly (!) - the counter lady has worked there for years - but the donuts are above and beyond and the coffee is always hot.
Here's the kicker - they are known for their 'Butterflies' donuts. Why this thing is called a butterfly is beyond me. It's not shaped like a butterfly, there's nothing butterfly-ish about it. It's a rolled dough with a touch of cinnamon, not quite a cinnamon roll, but flavorful.
Maybe it's the pretty topping that makes it butterfly-like. It's almost as if they scraped the bottom of the tray of allll the donuts and put it on top of this thing. Look closely and you'll see glaze, crumb, some strawberry bits. My inquiries got me nowhere. Whatever the name is and how it came to be, who knows - but it is delicious.
We obliterated a bunch of donuts - because that's how we roll - and kicked back in a glorious fried coma. The donuts here were great. Not fancy, not healthy - just the perfect melt in your mouth sweet treat. I'll be back soon I'm craving a Butterfly right now...
Primo's Donuts
2918 Sawtelle Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90064
(310) 478-6930
www.primosdonuts.com

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger L.A. Story said...

Love Primo's! Yay donuts. :) I think I'll have to go there tomorrow morning.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 9:58:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

Primo's is the best.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home