Saturday, August 06, 2011

Marukai Kawaii

Back when I made the Hello Kitty Cookie Cupcakes, I got a ton of inquiries as to where I got the cookies. I found them at Marukai, a local Japanese market but why go to any market when you can go to a KAWAII one?

No, seriously - there is a new Marukai Kawaii store that ONLY SELLS CUTE THINGS.

Kawaii means cute in Japanese and that's no lie, everything in here is adorable.

Marukai Kawaii is located in downtown L.A. in Little Tokyo in the Weller Court on Onizuka St. (You can't miss the giant Space Shuttle monument honoring who the street is named after - Ellison Onizuka - the Japanese American astronaut who died on the Challenger.) The store is across from the main Marukai in the same plaza.

What you'll notice about the small space is that half of it is FILLED with Hello Kitty items.

There is standard stuff you can find at a normal Sanrio boutique, but look closely and you can find some imported hard to find items from Japan, as well as the Hello Kitty face cookies from Italy!

But it's not all Hello Kitty, there are tons of other kawaii items ranging from Domo to jewelry to household products.

Candies, toys, stationery - you name it. The store just opened but I'm guessing it will expand and have even MORE cute items in no time.

Oh and of course Lolita eyelashes. Should that happen to be on your shopping list.

This store is a treat and I wish there was one on every street corner. It's definitely worth stopping by if you're downtown in the Little Tokyo area!

Marukai Kawaii
123 Astronaut E S Onizuka St
Los Angeles, CA 90012

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Daily Gluttony said...

Man, why did you have to post this? Now I'm gonna go broke. ;)

Sunday, August 07, 2011 7:45:00 AM  
Blogger Iliana said...

Thanks for posting! I live in the SGV, I have to see this place for myself. How is the parking? I hate to admit it but, I'm a bit intimidated when it comes to driving into downtown. But, willing to make the drive for this place.

Sunday, August 07, 2011 1:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Ally said...

Thanks to your post I went to this store last week. They do have a lot of cute things. I bought a few cute notebooks and stationary - my weaknesses!

As for parking, I parked a few blocks away and walked to the store. I actually went to the regular store by accident first (I did find a cute t-shirt there!) then I found the kawaii store.

It was a fun time. It gave me a chance to walk around, explore the area and buy cute things.

Thursday, September 01, 2011 2:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home