Sunday, August 28, 2011

There is a great disturbance in the Force.

Usually my birthday goes by without much fanfare and I have to say, I LOVE FANFARE. I love my birthday, it's my favorite time of year yet no one else shares these feelings...odd. Ha! Luckily this year my good LxL friends took my cause to heart and put together a mini celebration just for me - Star Wars style!

Ok, so maybe it wasn't JUST for me and it just happened that Star Wars Day at the L.A. Zoo fell on birthday weekend. In any case I say it was fate and no--I didn't tell my kids where I was going. D'oh. Normally the kids love the zoo but with record heat and tons of lines, I knew there'd be happier times to visit.

So just us gals, we set out to the Los Angeles Zoo to see stormtroopers and have a great time...on the hottest...day...of the year. Yikes. Seriously, the heat index was at about 100+ degrees. It was bad. As in mind-melty bad. I felt so sorry for the people dressed up, they must have been sweltering in there. This Tie-Fighter pilot all in black was truly feelin' the heat.

We got as far as the costume meet and greet and I'm sorry to say we headed back. We didn't see any animals, but then again there were signs everywhere saying 'it's too hot for the animals so they won't be coming out'. What the what. The animals were smart. I'm sure they had air-conditioned caves.

We went back to the theater and got a seating for the unseen Star Wars footage for the blu-ray release. It was a fantastic, there was a lot of behind the scenes footage, interviews, and sneak peeks at just some of the 40 hours of additional footage that will be on the release.

They also had Star Wars trivia (presented by Yoda) which was totally rigged with zoo animal questions. Man, can't a girl-nerd get a break?!

While we didn't win any prizes I got lots of nice gifts and for once I didn't have to bake my own birthday treats!! (As a baker, no one ever makes you cake. Ever. Boo!) Thanks to my good friend Christy I got custom Star Wars cupcakes for my birthday. The force was truly with me on my birthday!

Link

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

So glad you had a great day! You deserve it! I thought of you as we wielded our light sabers at the Bowl later that night! : )

Monday, August 29, 2011 12:18:00 AM  
Anonymous Editdebs said...

Happiest birthday, and I hope you have a blessed and joyful year!

Monday, August 29, 2011 5:31:00 AM  
Blogger Shari said...

I'm glad you had a birthday "Jenn style". Happy Birthday.

Monday, August 29, 2011 8:38:00 AM  
Blogger joyce said...

Happy Birthday!!
Love the cupcakes!

Monday, August 29, 2011 7:19:00 PM  
Anonymous P. said...

Happy Birthday! Glad you took a day off for yourself! I wonder if those costumes are shared/rentals. Gross.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 4:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home