Sunday, September 25, 2011

The claw

It was my good friend's bday and I know she LOVES seafood. I had heard that the Catalina Kitchen at the Terrenea resort in Palos Verdes held a seafood buffet every friday night, and though *I'm* not a lover of seafood, I have a strange fascination with buffets. I love to see the variety of items that get put out, the more the better!

So I booked a reservation for us, and though it's a LONG haul it was totally worth it. While most people like to trek north to see the beauty of the Los Angeles coastline, heading south is where it's at. Gorgeous, quiet - and because it's so tucked away from the rest of L.A., the South Bay provides a perfect little getaway.


I had gone to the brunch buffet before which was fantastic (all you can eat donuts, anyone?) but the dinner one was pretty great too. There was a salad station, a hot station, seafood salads.

The service was outstanding, our waiter was Portuguese and since some of our dinner guests were part Portuguese they had a lot of fun talking about Macau, etc. All the staff was friendly and always checking to see how we were doing. Each table also got a dish of hot crab legs in the middle of their table so they wouldn't have to be bothered getting up to get more. A lovely idea. Again - me - not the seafood connoisseur, didn't really partake but the rest of the table went to town. Even all the kids who had a grand ol' time cracking crab legs like it was a sport.

There were plenty of other options for non-seafood lovers like me: skirt steak, pork loin, as well as paella and even pizza.


The stand out was a made to order sushi station - and while I'm a 'bad asian' I don't eat sushi, the rest of the people in our party went for it.


No, I was fixated on the DESSERT STATION of course. This thing was stocked to the nines. Caramel flan, Chocolate Pot de Cremes in All-Clad 1/4 cup measures of all things. Tarts, cakes, cheesecake pops - but what got the kids all excited (and me) was the ice cream station filled with toppings:

It was a fantastic meal and a fun time with good friends. The buffet was a great way to have a stress-free meal with kids in the party, everyone got their choices, and we could take our time. That's the way all celebratory meals should be - relaxing and full of delicious food!
Catalina Kitchen @ Terrenea
100 Terranea Way
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA 90275

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Oh my! I'm OBSESSED with Terranea ever since I went there for my brother's wedding photos. I want to live there. But maybe I'll just eat there first.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 5:34:00 PM  
Blogger Stella said...

Grew up in the South Bay (Go Torrance! Home of King's Hawaiian Bakery - yeah!), and am coming home in a few weeks for my birthday, so now I have to go there myself! Thanks for the tip!

Monday, September 26, 2011 3:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Brendan said...

I fully match with whatever thing you've presented.
play games

Monday, March 05, 2012 10:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home