Monday, October 17, 2011

Seattle - eats

Oh come now, you didn't think I'd go on a trip and not eat my heart out, right? Well there was too much fun in the last post so I split my Seattle recap up and this one's all about the sweets!

On our whirlwind half-day of sightseeing, my friend Sarah and I packed in a lot of shops and also stopped by Molly Moon's ice cream.

Molly Moon's was already on my radar before I got off the plane. Homemade ice cream using local dairy, incorporating unique ingredients and flavors. That's my kind of frozen treat.
Sarah got the blackberry which sounded amazing but I have this weird habit of ONLY getting coffee ice cream whenever I visit a new store.

I don't know, perhaps it's the rationale of being able to say I've tried every coffee ice cream on the face of this earth so I know what the best one is. And this one was pretty darn good - nice flecks of coffee bean and a creamy base that was flavorful and solid, an all around amazing coffee ice cream.
Also I'm a sucker for things that are color coordinated, clean and modern. The store was immaculate and the ice cream superb. The smell of freshly made waffle cones didn't hurt either.

The second day of my vacation was actually the first day of the con so my schedule was pretty packed, but I managed to escape for a few hours. My friend Rhonda who is local to Seattle, picked me up and when she asked what I wanted to do I replied "Take me to all the bakeries you can fit in two hours." Yeah. That's a vacation to me.
First stop was Dahlia Bakery by Tom Douglas, a popular Seattle chef. If only I had more time I'd love to visit one of the TWELVE restaurants that he has, but for this trip just the bakery had to do.
Since I was still thinking about the blackberry ice cream Sarah had the day before - a Blackberry Lemon Meringue Tart was definitely the first thing in the case that caught my eye.

It was AMAZING. A perfectly crisp crust, light layer of blackberry and a perfect lemon filling, topped with soft, peaky meringue. You know when you eat something and you never want it to end? That was it.
We sat and talked as I digested but it was on to the next - Macrina Bakery. This place was tiny and PACKED. While the display case was small I could tell they knew their stuff. The cupcakes looked fantastic but since I had already consumed enough sugar for the day and I had no fridge in the hotel - there was no way I wanted to keep cream cheese frosting out for 4+ hours. I'm insanely paranoid.

Instead I opted for a chocolate chip cookie and I have to say, that Macrina chocolate chip was one of the best cookies I've ever had. Crispy yet soft in the middle, with the perfect amount of chocolate throughout.
Just when I thought I could take no more, I realized that Top Pot Donuts was a few blocks away. Oh man. You know, *I* know donuts and I had to try these. Honestly, when I walked in I wanted to stay forever. It was comfy, cozy and there were donuts everywhere. The vast array of flavors sort of threw me for a loop. There was no way I could eat a dozen...right? Gah, no - so instead I asked the counterperson for some 'donut advice' what would keep best (again, food spoilage paranoia) and what was the best tasting.

I ended up getting a cinnamon sugar cake donut and a maple glazed old fashioned - I knew if I brought them back to the hotel, Sarah had similar tastes and later that night after all the con panels we could taste test the donuts.
Even hours later I will tell you...the donuts were FANTASTIC. Wow. They weren't too greasy, wonderfully flavorful, cake-y and most importantly to me, much like the coffee ice cream base point - the maple was amazing. I always get maple donuts, something about the sweet deep flavor that seems to round out pastries in the best possible way and these Top Pot Maple Donuts were unforgettable.
Sure there was real food on this trip. Lovely sandwiches, Mexican street tacos even a giant...vat...of boiling cheese. Ugh. What happens at CheeseCon stays at CheeseCon. I even contributed to the sweet weekend by bringing Yoda cookies (recipe here) to hand out at my parenting panel.

In the end it's the sweets of the city that I always look forward to. You can tell how great a city is by the way they indulge and these Seattle treats were out of this world!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger L.A. Story said...

Oh my yum! Everything looks so delicious? Do you watch "Unique Sweets?" I think Top Pot was featured in an episode.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 10:26:00 AM  
Blogger Sizzle said...

You hit up some of our best. Glad you enjoyed them! The coconut cream pie of Tom Douglas's is SO GOOD. Oh my hell.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 2:03:00 PM  
Blogger bumpkinandme said...

Yum! Please tell me you went to Bottega Italiana for some gelato?!

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 4:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home