Thursday, October 13, 2011

Seattle - sights

Seattle is one of my favorite towns and I have to say, of anywhere - I'd most likely move there. Rain up there isn't the end of the world like it is in L.A. and it's so easy to get around by both car and public transportation. I have a lot of friends who call Seattle home and with good reason, it's an amazing place.
I was visiting Seattle for Geek Girl Con and let me say, I LOVED our hotel. The Maxwell's theme was pineapple - I don't know why but it was cute. Nice, clean and it was a perfect location, right next to the Seattle Center where the con was located. But hold onto your hats, the best part? Everyday at 4:30 they brought out free pineapple cupcakes. I would like to live here, thanks.

My friend Sarah and I were there for the Con but we had just half a day to explore the city and even managed to take a public bus. You don't understand, this is quite the accomplishment for someone from L.A. I do NOT take public transport. But I figured it out and we headed to the first stop: Cakespy.
Jessie is a friend. Yeah you know she's been a good friend of mine...wait. No. Seriously. Jessie and I have been friends for years and I feel our friendship has only grown because it is centered around our love of cake and pastries. That's a solid friendship.

Not only is she an artist and entrepreneur, she also owns the cutest of shops in Capitol Hill. There are tons of her own creations on mugs, stationery and artwork but she also encourages and curates artwork from other lovers of all things sweet from all around the world.

You also can find many of my items from my stationery line here, and it was awesome to finally spend some time together in person!
Jessie recommended a few places for us to check out: Elliot Bay Books, little boutiques here and there, but of course I was taken with Melrose Market due to the fresh cheeses, meats and wares. Love that place.
As it were, we were here for Geek Girl Con so it only made sense to geek out and go to the EMP which had a whole science fiction exhibit on Battlestar Galactica. Pretty. Darn. Awesome.

There were full sized ships, costumes and props! I especially liked the behind the scenes videos which gave a lot of insight to the show.

By the end of the day we were beat. We headed back to our hotel...just in time for free cupcakes. A perfect end to a perfect day.

*next week - Seattle eats...

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Kirsten said...

As a Seattle native, I have to disagree about your rainy weather conclusion. People here *still* do not know what to do in the rain, despite it being a common occurrence.

Entertainment is often watching drivers on the road flip out because there is precipitation falling from the sky!

But, even funnier is how they complain when there is a lot of sun.

*facepalms*

Still, it's a quirky and beautiful place and I am glad you enjoyed your visit.

Meanwhile I am packing to move TO CA from Seattle. Go figure.

:)

Thursday, October 13, 2011 12:25:00 PM  
Blogger bethany actually said...

I've never been to Seattle but I've spent time in Oregon (where one of my best friends lives) and BC. I've always longed to live in the Pacific NW. It's so beautiful, and I LOVE rain.

Also, the pineapple is a symbol of hospitality! When Columbus first brought pineapples back to Europe in the 15th century they were of course rare and exotic and prized. In Colonial American days, pineapple was very popular as a dessert, but it was also expensive and hard to obtain, so a hostess serving pineapple was a sign of the warmest hospitality. This symbolism is also why door-knockers are often shaped like a pineapple.

Symbolism or not, though, I'd totally be down with staying at a hotel that served me pineapple cupcakes every day. Yum.

Thursday, October 13, 2011 1:59:00 PM  
Blogger Sizzle said...

I love Cakespy! I've bought stuff from here before- I even have her robot/cupcake love magnet on my fridge. You were just blocks from where I live. Cap Hill is my 'hood. Can't wait to hear where you ate and your reviews.

Thursday, October 13, 2011 2:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home