Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Mochi Ice Cream

In my last post I wrote about the new front house confectionery boutique at Mitsuwa Torrance. Within that space there is a tiny counter with a plain black storefront name: Mochi Ice Cream. While I would run towards those words anyway, that sign does not do this place justice.

Here what they have are more than just pieces of mochi ice cream. You can get that at any Trader Joe's nowadays. No, these are true gourmet confections.

I've never seen such a wide and strange array of flavors. Tea, apple pie, sakura - the list goes on and on. I tried to peer in and get a good look at the choices but the mass of little old ladies people sort of pushed me to the front of the line. Then I was stuck. I had to choose quickly since everyone was waiting behind me.

The only 'normal' flavors I found were mango, chocolate and green tea and seeing how much I love green tea, that's the one I went for. I'll have to be more adventurous with the other flavors when I have more time.

The mochi was incredibly soft, it almost melted in your mouth. Inside was a surprise, not your normal ball of ice cream, but almost a green tea bean paste surrounding a cream like center - as if the ice cream was a soft serve.

It was delicious and I definitely want to go back for more, but the tiny line is long and I highly suggest you make your choice beforehand, lest you become overwhelmed like me. I hope this new place sticks around for a while. I need to eat my way through every single flavor...

Mochi Ice Cream
Mitsuwa Market
21515 S. Western Avenue
Torrance, CA 90501
(310) 782-0335

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Nomsnotbombs said...

Oh yum! Definitely excited to try this.

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 12:53:00 PM  
Blogger The Food Librarian said...

Must. Go. Now.

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 3:39:00 PM  
Blogger joyce said...

wow!!! i want to try some...

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 6:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This place is AMAZING! My daughter and I go there regularly....

Thursday, November 10, 2011 1:25:00 PM  
Anonymous JulieD said...

I'm seriously...so jealous!!! That is amazing!

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 7:45:00 PM  
Blogger L.A. Story said...

Yum, I totally want to visit.

Monday, November 21, 2011 5:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home