Thursday, January 05, 2012

Bug and Wish

Back in the old days - um, last year when my kids were in Kinder - they taught the kids a tool for communicating, for solving problems, for direct resolutions. It was called..."Bug and Wish."

Basically it was two sticks, one with a 'bug' and one with a star or a 'wish' and here's how you use it: Say your brother takes your favorite Beyblade without asking (note: this is a purely made up scenario. Yeah, right) you can either resolve it by screaming, punching him or...

"It bugs me when you take my toys. I wish you would ask me first."

Huh. Interesting. At first I didn't think it would work but they kids really started using it to resolve their conflicts. My Aunt was over one day, saw the sticks and asked me about them. She thought they were genius communication tools.

Seeing as how my Aunt was my Secret Santa person, I made up some little bug and wish sticks for her. I simply printed out images from the internet, a yellow star and a bug (I happen to like Disney's Bug Life movie) and glued them to popsicle sticks. I even made a free pdf for you to download and try out for yourself, HERE.

I like to imagine my Aunt used her sticks to resolve possible holiday conflict with my Uncle:

"It bugs me when you won't help me put up the Christmas lights..."

Um. I'm not making any guarantees on these things.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Yun Hui Wang said...

Thank you so much for sharing. I think that's a great idea!

Monday, January 09, 2012 9:51:00 AM  
Blogger Karen Scheuer said...

Here's an adorable book to teach the concept of a bug and a wish
http://www.amazon.com/Bug-Wish-Karen-Scheuer/dp/1628577053/ref=la_B00K9VLWFM_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1400120189&sr=1-1

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 8:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home