Thursday, February 16, 2012

Oh little girl, there are times when I feel, I'd rather not be, the one behind the wheel

When I was a kid I had images of a dsytopian future - not of being repressed but the landscape of it all. Movies like Bladerunner and The Fifth Element made me dream of soaring towers and flying freeways. I'm sure those images are what made me decide to go to architecture school.

That dream almost came true with the construction of the 105 freeway, with it's 110 interchange soaring 130 feet above the ground. But that was it. After the completion of the freeway there were no more tall buildings, no more soaring interchanges. Where's my jetpack that I was promised??

So when the Metropolis II exhibit opened at LACMA it took me back to my childhood. A chaotic world all in toy form with soaring towers and crowded interchanges.

If you have kids that love cars and trains and all moving vehicles - this is the exhibit for you. And even if you don't have kids, as an adult you will be astounded by the detail and intricacy that went into this exhibit.

You can view the exhibit from two tiers - ground level puts you in the middle of it all but viewed from the top you can really see how elaborate and extremely functional it becomes.

1200 custom designed cars were made to circulate through the tiny city.

One worker stands in the middle to flip the switch on the hour to start the exhibit. Without fail the crowd oohs and aahs when the cars start their descent into the fake city.

Not that anyone loves traffic - but this is surely what my car looks like parked on the 405.

The place was packed with both kids and adults, marveling at the beauty of chaos.

The best thing about LACMA is their commitment to kids. In schools the arts are getting cut left and right, so on the weekends I try to make it a priority to incorporate some sort of artistic/design/cultural activity.

NextGen at LACMA is the nation's only free youth membership program. And when the kids sign up they get a free adult ticket to the museum for the day!

Not only do you get to see the permanent collection but special exhibits as well! NextGen is a fantastic way to get kids interested in the arts and promote the amazing collections in LACMA. With a price like free you can't go wrong.

**Keep in mind Metropolis II at LACMA only runs at certain times:
Fridays: 12:30–1:30 pm; 2:30–3:30 pm; 4:30–5:30 pm; 6:30–7:30 pm
Weekends: 11:30 am–12:30 pm; 1:30–2:30 pm; 3:30–4:30 pm; 5:30–6:30 pm

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Jen said...

This is GREAT! I'm going to be in LA with Rowan next week, and my mom will be entertaining him ALL day Wednesday while I work at an event. I'm going to suggest she take him to this exhibit. Fantastic!

Thursday, February 16, 2012 4:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home