Thursday, March 29, 2012

UMAMIcatessen

On our monthly field trips with my Uncle, cousin and O.G. we often end up downtown or at a donut shop. In this case - we got to hit both at the same time! UMAMIcatessen down on 9th and Broadway has been open for a few weeks, so it was time for a visit.

UMAMI makes some of the best burgers in town but this restaurant is a new concept. You are still seated and served but your options are many. The menu includes an expanded UMAMI Burger menu, PIGG which offers pork in a variety of ways, The Cure which has a take on deli options and & a Donut which of course, offers up donuts.

The menu is vast and mouth watering. To say I was overwhelmed is an understatement and it had nothing to do with the ham elevator (ham-evator!) in the corner:
O.G. was captivated by the ham going 'roud and 'round.

Here's how it went down: I basically ordered one of everything. I'm joking...sort of. We all ordered our own main dishes and then we battled it out over the sides.

O.G. stuck with her favorite UMAMI Burger, my cousin ordered the only-available at this locale Shrimp Burger. I went with the chicken salad only because I wanted something on the 'lighter' side? (My goal was to eat donuts at the end of this. Ah, always thinking.)

Meanwhile, my Uncle the more adventurous of us - was anxious to try the 'Hoof & Mouth' sandwich with a side of Pig's Ears with Brain-aisse. Uh, yeah. That's brain-aisse as in mayo made with brain.

He went whole hog - literally - and pretty much ate nose to tail off the menu.

As for those sides: skinny fries, cheesy tater tots, pork corn (pork flavored popcorn) and cone o' cracklins (aka chicharrones).

Everything was good in it's own way but the thing that I went back to over and over was the Pork Corn. That was truly addicting.

At the end of it all, my ordering of the chicken salad paid off - although the sandwich was large (I only ate half) I still had room for house made to order donuts while the rest of my family was hurting just a little.

But we are a donut-loving family and we had to power through. I ordered the Tres Leches, the lemon and the beignets.

They were all great but I was a huge fan of the Tres Leches. I think I would wander in just for one of those and nice cup of coffee.

I've heard the evening wait times and get crazy (an hour+) but because we went right at 11am when it opened we were seated immediately. I'm glad to see that it's open til midnight for late night snacks...should pig ears and donuts be your craving in the wee hours.

All in all it was a wonderful visit and I can't wait to go back to order my faves - luckily I've already tried one of everything. Next time maybe I'll attempt the Ham-evator!

UMAMIcatessen
825 S. Broadway
downtown L.A.
Mon-Sun 11 am - 12 am

Labels: , ,