Saturday, April 21, 2012

MB Post

 
When I went to MB Post with my cousin it was more than just a night out, it was a like being in a time machine. Back in the day...waaaaay back - she used to work at MB Post...when it was a real post office!

That exact location was an actual post office/ice cream store called the Peppermint Post. My cousin worked there and I remember going down and watching her scoop ice cream and file mail into people's p.o. boxes.
The space is the same, just more opened up. The walls lined with post office decor is a nice homage to those of us who remember it from way back when. Even more touches - not only do you get a letter upon arrival but the towels in the bathroom are even in a mailbox.

The menu changes on a whim and Chef David LeFevre does an excellent job at creating a memorable menu out of local, seasonal ingredients.
 Apologies for the dark photos, it was a late night dinner and the photos were more of an afterthought as I was enjoying the food. While menu changes daily but one standard is the Bacon Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits with maple butter. As every food blogger before me has ever mentioned - these are to die for. Melt in your mouth, cheesy, delicious, I would come back just for these.

We also ordered charcuterie, green beans with crispy pork, scallops with dumplings, skirt steak - no I'm not hurrying to get through the menu, why do you ask -well, ok....
I am because I'm trying to get to the dessert which was 'The Elvis - a wonderful mess of chocolate pudding, peanut butter mousse and bacon brittle.' Now that's how you finish a meal.

There are so many new amazing places to eat by the beach (Standing Room?), the South Bay is becoming the hot place to be for fabulous dining.

Being back in that old space brought back a lot of memories. I can't wait to go back and now that they are open for brunch it's a perfect stop after a weekend walk down on the pier in Manhattan Beach. Those biscuits are calling my name from the beach.

Manhattan Beach Post
1142 Manhattan Ave
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266
http://www.eatmbpost.com/ 

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Shari said...

I've been hoping to eat here. I read about it a few months ago. I'm so happy that the South Bay finally has more than The Bottle Inn. I'm all up for driving up during the week by lunch if you want.

Monday, April 23, 2012 4:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home