Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Screen Free Week

 Last week was 'Screen Free Week' at school. Last year it was called 'Turn off TV week' but this year not only can't the kids watch tv, but no movies, video games or cell phone games. It's supposed to get the kids to 'unplug' and think of other things to do and be more active.

Turn off tv week isn't so bad since I don't allow my kids to watch that much, nor do they spend that much time gaming. But the phone  is another story. I do hand it to them to play a few games while we're waiting for afterschool classes, in line at the store, etc.

 Participating in Screen Free Week isn't mandatory but I always encourage the kids to do it. There's so much to do and so many ways to be creative -  tv is really low on the priority list. You were supposed to keep a log of what you did all week afterschool instead of watching tv. Some of the activities we came up with was art projects, going to the park, making things out of recycling, reading book and baking muffins. That was all my idea  of course.

Only the Baby's class was participating in Screen Free Week but the Kid was a champ and didn't watch tv either. He deserves a medal for the stuff he has to put up with. Not only did the Kid abstain from watching tv, but he volunteered to think up an activity for the Baby while I made dinner. When I asked him what they did he said, "We made homemade grappling hooks like Batman." Of course they did. My children, ladies and gentlemen.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our local toy store gave each kid a $5 credit for participating!

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 7:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Hannah said...

I sometimes wish I was brought up as inundated with geekery as your children. Homemade grappling hooks sound insanely awesome. :)

Monday, May 21, 2012 6:01:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home