Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Ghirardelli at Disney's California Adventure

The big news at Disneyland - DCA - is that Cars Land opens next week. Slowly but surely the walls are coming down in other parts and new attractions are opening.

Poor Tortilla Factory, I knew you well. Years (I mean, YEARS) ago my colleagues worked on designing the Wharf area so it was sad to see Tortilla Factory go, but change is good. I will miss those stacks of free tortillas on my birthday.
In it's place is the new Ghirardelli Ice Cream shop - the LA version of the famous SF ice cream store. As touristy as it is, I always stop there when I'm in the Bay Area. There's no way I'm missing ice cream, no matter what the weather.

The Disney version is much smaller and doesn't feel as grand. The San Francisco store is packed due to the touristy nature of it, but it also boasts an impressive selection of chocolates and chocolate making.

The idea of showcasing the chocolate making stays true to the original DCA 'let's see how manufacturing works' concept. Here's how tortillas are made, here's how bread is made - anyone remember the Fortune Cookie Factory at California Adventure? Blink and you may have missed it but having worked on it, it was one of the most anticipated attractions and it was gone as quickly as it was built due to lack of interest. Too bad.

Here at the DCA Ghirardelli while there is chocolate making to be seen, I noticed a lot of guests passing by and not really taking it all in. Maybe they just wanted their ice cream! Heck, that's why I was there.

I took my two year old nephew who wanted nothing more than chocolate ice cream and that's what he got! I chose a 'Strike It Rich' - butterscotch hot fudge sundae. So. Good.

My only disappointment was that it was jammed into a plastic cup as compared to the lovely glassware they have in San Francisco, but I get it - we're at a theme park not a 'real' sit down restaurant. The plastic cups make it portable for you to go about your Disney day. It wasn't pretty, but it sure was delicious.

The Ghirardelli is a nice change up to the Wharf area and a good stop for a snack during the day. I'm sure it will thrive once the park is completed and if anything, they hand you free chocolate at the door, who can beat that?!

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doing the Cast Preview of Cars Land tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to checking this place out! Can't wait!

Thursday, June 07, 2012 11:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home