Thursday, June 21, 2012

Patisserie Chantilly

I give food tours, don't you know? Well, only to friends who ask. And all the places on my tours are usually little known - or are about to blow up with popularity. Those places are the absolute best.

On this particular food tour we were in the South Bay and I knew that we as a posse of baking bloggers just had to stop by this place and try it out. When I hear a buzz about a bakery I'll generally travel far and wide to try it out, no matter how small the place is...and this place is small.

Patisserie Chantilly is located in Lomita, a small city tucked into the south of Torrance, inside a teeny strip mall. Blink and you'd miss it. But inside, it is wonderous. Clean minimal white walls, the perfect showcase for gorgeous, almost fashionably so - desserts.
Check out their yelp and you'll see consistently high marks. Lots of love for the cakes but what they are known for is their Sesame Choux, listed as one of the 99 Things to Eat in LA before you die by Jonathan Gold. Definitely a different take on your regular ol' cream puff, but sesame is a common ingredient in asian desserts and this one fits right in.

While I did get choux...and macarons...and I was eyeing the cakes, I went straight for one in particular:
The Avignon. It looked like perfect package, or at least a tiny hat. But the description said it all: "An elegant blend of white & milk chocolate mousse with lemon caramel." You sold me on lemon caramel. An interesting combination but it worked perfectly. The dessert was light as air and I tried to savor every small bite.
Patisserie Chantilly is not close to well, anything - but it's definitely worth a stop by if you're in the South Bay. So many cakes to chose from, so little time...

Patisserie Chantilly
2383 Lomita Blvd. ste 104
Lomita, CA 90717

Hours: Wed-Sun 11 am - 7 pm

2 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer W. said...

I've had this on my "must go" list just about forever! I guess I should make the drive and check it out.

Friday, June 22, 2012 1:17:00 AM  
Anonymous Jessica V. said...

This place is a block from my house - and I had no idea it existed. I'm definitely going to check it out!

Sunday, June 24, 2012 6:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home