Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Behind the scenes of Comic Con

Whew, another year of Con is done. The week goes by so slowly...yet so quickly. It's like Vegas, no windows, no clocks - what. is. happening.

I like to get to the Hall early to set up and then stroll around and see all I can before the masses arrive. And when I saw masses, I mean thousands upon thousands of people.
I'm in the waaay back in Small Press so I never get to venture to the big booths during the day, but in the early morning, when all is quiet - this is my view. A totally empty, walkable exhibit hall:
Pre-con, some booths are still being built and stocked. One of my favorites is Archaia - their booth is clean, minimal and gorgeous. A subtle, captivating landmark amongst the sea of crazy, should you get lost in the crowd.

Archaia won three (!) Eisners for Jim Henson's Tale of Sand, a beautiful book I've written about before, and well deserved of all the praises. (you can buy it in stores or online)

When you think of the thousands of people that come to Con and TOUCH everything, it means displays have to be clean and in tip-top shape. So every morning Knight Rider's KITT got a complete rub down:
This life size Castle Grayskull from He-Man was impressive. If you look closely it looks like he's eating the cafe in the background. A He-Man cafe themed cafe would be pretty dope. Think about that next year, Comic Con.
The best thing about no one being around in the morning is the clear shots for photos of the popular displays. The Marvel booth was surrounded by hundreds of fans at all hours but on this morning, it was just me and the 7 Iron Man armored costumes. ~swoon~
It was widely tweeted that Lucasfilm was going to have live snakes at their booth and I had to see it for myself. When I got there it was so early in the morning that the snake wrangler was also in there. I mean IN there, in the pit, arranging the fake and the real snakes. Yikes.
Cosplayers are everywhere at Comic Con and most of the time they are adjusting their outfits or in this case - sneaking in a sandwich while standing up:

Sitting at my booth all day is actually a good thing because all my friends come to me and I can just sit in one place. It's a good meeting point.
Highlights included LadySteam13 as a Steampunk Dalek, Lady Vader by Arkhamasylumdoc and a very cool lady version of the Crusader from Love and Capes by Amy_Geek.
 Mark Waid came by to say hi and so I gave him a HULK cookie to go.

Grant Imahara came to visit so of course we made him take an "Unenthused Fashionistas" picture.

My bff table neighbors the Beastlies sold out per the usual and hit the road. (never fear, you can buy Beastlies online!) I always miss them when they are gone but I wasn't alone for long.
Mortal Kombat cosplayers swooped in and set up shop, sign and all: "Scorpion & Sub-Zero Accounting Services". People went nuts. It was like the paparazzi up in there, so many photos were taken as the two just sat there, never moved, never spoke, barely blinked. That didn't stop people from asking them about their W-2 or how to file a 1040ez. Always in character, they never moved.

And that's the fun of Comic Con - the little moments that you might miss when you get wrapped up standing in lines or going for swag. Watching KITT get windexed can be a calming, zen experience.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Mel Caylo said...

The team building the Marvel booth always shooed away people who tried to take pictures of the booth before the show opened. Guess you got lucky! Thanks for the Archaia shout-out, Jenn!

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 12:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Liz O. said...

This is such a cool post. I've always wondered what the exhibit hall looks like before the madness begins.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 12:41:00 PM  
Blogger thirtyhelens said...

So glad Scorpion and Sub-Zero made the cut here. Every time I walked past them they cracked. Me. Up. ;)

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 1:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Jen said...

Great seeing you again! So true that being inside the Con is like being in Vegas. Ditto the Gaslamp around 11 p.m. on Saturday night. I saw a few costumed girls puking in the gutter. Bleh.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 2:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home